02. unpleasant news

── Or perhaps the universe wasn't satisfied with the chaos it had already unleashed into their lives

Mareena sensed a change in Professor McGonagall's expression as she followed the stern woman into the castle. The small smile on her face looked strained and she seemed to grow more serious as they entered her office.

"Professor?" Mareena called softly, as an awful feeling instantly filled her from within. She had no idea what had happened but whatever it was, she knew it wasn't anything good.

Professor McGonagall remained silent as she took a seat, gesturing to Mareena to do the same. As she glanced at the young girl whom she had grown to love through the long, exhausting years of constant pranks and detention, she instantly felt dreadful for having to be the one to deliver the news.

She had to admit, it sucked being the Head of House sometimes.

"Biscuits?" she offered, hoping to make Mareena prepared for whatever it was she needed to hear.

The young girl stared incredulously at McGonagall (the woman had never been as kind as this in all the five years Mareena had known her) but took a piece nonetheless. "What is it, Professor?" she asked again, curiosity getting the better of her.

McGonagall cleared her throat. "This piece of news will come as a shock to you and your sister but I want you to take it calmly and not get alarmed. Alright?"

Mareena swallowed the dry biscuit nervously and nodded, a slight frown etched on her face.

• • •

Hours had passed but there was still no sign of Mareena. 'What's taking her so long?' Remus wondered for the hundredth time that evening as the Gryffindor team began to disperse, chatting loudly against the red-tainted backdrop of the sunset sky and the constant caws of the crows that had made Hogwarts their abode.

"MMOOOOONNNYYYYY! LET'S GO!"

Remus saw James waving frantically at him and quickly gathered his belongings and hurried after his friends as they laughed and talked along the way.

"I thought I saw Ree with you. . ?" asked Sirius, looking around.

"Professor McGonagall needed to talk to her about something," the sandy-haired boy replied. "It's been a while though. She should've been back by now."

"Come on, mate. It's Minnie, The Unpredictable," James stated dramatically. "Bet Ree's getting super bored if she's still stuck there."

"Poor Ree," they all muttered together with matching grins. Remus sighed out in relief as he concluded that it was probably nothing to worry about. Who knows? Mareena was probably waiting for them in the common room at the very moment.