~twenty~

I hated walking alone at night. I should've accepted Phil's offer to fly me home. Nothing good ever happened to any girl who was alone in the middle of the night. I should've known better.

A cool breeze picked up, raising the hairs on my arms. I was almost halfway home, following the path by the woods, since there were fewer corners for people to be hiding behind. Not a lot of crime happened in Helia, but when it did, it happened in the center of town. The most danger I would be in by the woods would be from wolves, or the occasional monster that would slip past the iron golems' guard. Zombies never got through.

"Hey." A garbled voice called out from the trees. I recognized the dialect; Endermen. I kept my head down, but stopped walking, in case they wanted to speak to me. You never want to disrespect Endermen; it was a death wish.

"Hello," I said quietly, my shoes beginning to dig themselves a hole in the dirt path. Out of the corner of my vision, I saw a figure appear, their deep purple skin and black silk cloak nearly blending into the dark forest behind them.

"Are you lost?" Their English wasn't awful, but it was obvious that it wasn't their first language. Their voice wasn't clearly male or female.

"No. I'm almost home," I said. They made a sound that I could only interpret as approval. So I started walking, but I heard their footsteps follow me. I was a little panicked, but I knew from my research that Endermen won't attack unprovoked. That doesn't mean that I wasn't still nervous.

"I'm going to accompany you until you are home," they stated matter-of-factly. I nodded, not about to make them angry. "You are friends with the prince, no?" They asked.

"Is that what he is?" I said indifferently. The Enderman beside me didn't even have to try to keep up with me; they were easily over seven feet tall.

"He tells the council about you a lot. Says you... confuse him," they pondered. Soon enough I reached my house and went to the front door, the Enderman staying on the main path.

"What's your name?" I asked them. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw them turn to face me completely, their lilac eyes staring at me curiously.

"It matters not." And then they were gone.

Luckily for me, Mom and Dad were both fast asleep, which made sneaking up to my room a whole lot easier. As much as I hated myself for it, I couldn't stop replaying the kiss over and over again in my head. I just wanted him that close all the time. I needed him, and it made me angry. Damnit, I loved him. I couldn't look at alliums without seeing him. I couldn't continue my research on Endermen without wondering how he would sound pronouncing all of the strange syllables. I couldn't lay on my bed without remembering how comforting and soft his embrace was. He was everywhere, everything. And what was I? Nothing? Was I nothing to him?

"Why were you out so late?" Willow yawned, the moonlight casting soft shadows onto her face.

"Dinner went later than expected," I answered curtly, pulling back the blankets and laying in bed. I heard her roll over onto her side.

"Dad's gonna kill you if he finds out about you and Ranboo," she whispered. I didn't turn to face her. I couldn't.

"What do you mean?" I asked. There was no way that Willow knew about that night. It was impossible. Or did I not disguise my stolen glances well enough? Was the way my features softened when I looked at him that obvious?

"Don't lie to me Mel."

I sighed, cursing the way the butterflies fluttered in my stomach when I remembered his skin against mine. I guess that was enough to tip her off.