12

A/N; Hello again! I apologize for the delay in this chapter, but I've been experiencing some serious writer's block and getting used to a new job etc. I'll try to write more consistently from now on! Enjoy!

     Adam was never particularly good at giving his future a good thought—his impulsive decisions got him into plenty of trouble in the past—though it seemed that he managed to put himself back on track by the end of high school. Nowadays, he planned ahead just enough. He managed to sort out the time he needed to put into his work and pay the bills on time, while also finding time for music, video games, and other hobbies.

     Ever since he moved away from home, his system has worked. Sure, in the beginning, he missed quite a few unpaid bills, which, naturally, brought consequences. He still had some close calls to this day, but he always pulled through. Even with the endless deadlines he had to meet, his lifestyle could be considered serene and placid as opposed to the lives of others. Meeting Laurie was an unexpected spark that had their lives evolving and merging faster than ever, and he knew that he'd have to adapt or get pulled under by the surge.

     Compromise, his mind implied, and he agreed. If Laurie could settle for his spontaneity and hasty decisions, then he could make an effort in trying to keep to a schedule. If being more organized meant that they could see each other more often during the short time they had left, then he would do his best. The last thing he wanted was to make Laurie feel like he wasn't trying enough. It was hard, however, when almost anything he did somehow disrupted the girl's rhythm.

     Once the meet-and-greet was over, the animators were rushed out of the room and asked by the staff to start packing up their booths in the main hall. Adam frowned; packing up was what he disliked most about conventions like Vidcon. Their ever-growing community was so warm and welcoming; it broke the animators' hearts when they were forced to leave it behind. If it were up to Adam, he'd be at Vidcon every month. Meeting fans was a part of his job he enjoyed the most, but he was sure that he'd remember the 2020 Vidcon 'til the day he died.

     Nevertheless, all good things came to an end. He followed James, Ilyssa, and Jaiden through the exit, only to find the main hall already half empty.

     Ilyssa's face went blank in surprise. It was her first time at Vidcon as a featured creator, and the lack of crowds was more shocking to her more than to others. "Damn, never thought this hall could empty out so quickly. People were swarming when we started our meet-and-greet."

     "That's just how it is," Adam shrugged. "Sundays are when people rush to get back home before the roads get congested."

     Jaiden groaned. "I don't get people. Isn't that what causes roads to fill so quickly?"

     "Most likely," James agreed. "But at least they're gone by the time we head home."

     "So, we'll meet in the parking lot to say goodbye at five?" Ilyssa questioned. "I think we'll be done with packing by then."

     "Mm, make that six," Adam proposed. As opposed to James and Ilyssa, he and Jaiden each had individual booths, which meant fewer helping hands when it came to packing.

     The others agreed. "See you then."

     Making it to James and Ilyssa's booth was hassle-free without the crowds of people flooding the hall. There, they split up, Adam and Jaiden each making a beeline to their own.

     Relieved, Adam drew further away from the others. He guessed the sudden display of affection must've been quite a surprise for everyone, James especially, since the two hadn't exchanged a single word about Laurie since their talk in the hallway the previous day. It led him to worry that James would have commented on the stunt.