Twelve ♚

DISCLAIMER // This following chapter is inspired by 'To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You'

|| HYEWON ||

"Okay, so make sure you have the homework written down. I'm looking at you, Jooyeon. I don't want you failing one of my classes again like last year..."

Ugh, if only Mr. Lim actually taught physics instead of flirting with all the female students, then I wouldn't be failing this class. But by looking at the faces of the other students, it seems like nobody wants him to stop.

"So that's it! I'll let you guys leave early so you can go chillax with your friends or whatever." Mr. Lim announces the end of the day, making all the students quickly pack up their bags and run out the door.

I was about to be one of those students until Mr. Lim called for me. "Hey!" He stops me. "Um... Hanjin, right? You'll need to stay back."

"It's Hyewon."

"Right, Hyewon. Listen, I've noticed that from this class you're the only person that hasn't signed up for a volunteering program yet. And I honestly wouldn't care usually but you see, you kind of need the volunteering hours if you want to graduate." He scratches his neck.

"Sorry sir, I've been busy recently. What can I still sign up for?" I ask, silently cursing myself. If only I hadn't been so confused between Yeji and Soobin I probably wouldn't be here with this wannabe teenager right now.

"Unfortunately, there are no programs left. Except for the nursing one, which starts in an hour so you'll need to get there soon unless you want to be stuck in my class for another year. But hey, I get it. A lot of girls are like that since I'm so-"

"AN HOUR?! Sorry, sir, I've got to go." I grab the brochure out of his hand, skimming down the address of the nursing home. It wasn't too far away, so if I ran I could probably get there in time.

I make my way past Mr. Lim and towards the door, but get stopped by his voice again. "Oh, and by the way Hyewon..."

"...You should probably smile more. It'll look better than your resting face." He points to his mouth with his index finger, showing off a jerk smirk.

My face turns into a scowl as I leave the room, feeling more dejected than before. It looks better than my resting face? What does that even mean?

Never mind Mr. Lim and his stupid 16-year-old boy attitude, I have to get to the nursing home before admissions close!

I run through the empty hallways and out the school doors which was mainly easy because my class is on the second floor. I run down the street, panting for air until I reached the address on the brochure.

In front of me was a gated residential, which just looks like a regular suburban mansion. I really thought I was at the wrong place until I saw the sign that said 'GANGBOOK NURSING HOME'.

I sigh, walking into the gate and praying that I would still be allowed to sign up. I wipe the sweat from my forehead as I ring the doorbell of the mansion to be greeted by a woman, probably a few years younger than my mom.

"Are you here for the volunteering, dear?" She asks in a sweet voice. I nod my head frantically as she lets me into the home and to the reception desk that was in front of us. "You're lucky, you're just in time." She says, moving forward an application paper.

I sign the paper out and hand it back over to her which she looks through approvingly. "I'll get going now, goodbye." I bow down slightly before walking in the direction of the door.

"Wait! Your application is perfect, you got the hours." She stops me from leaving. "Wait, really? I thought it would take longer than that..." I say, thinking out loud.

She chuckles. "Sadly, we didn't have many people sign up for the nursing home. So you don't have any competition."

The receptionist leads me to a common area which was mainly full of elderly men and women talking to each other or reading novels on their own. "Wait here, I'll get the other volunteers so you guys can introduce yourselves to each other."

The receptionist leaves me to be as I roam around the back of the room, looking at the paintings on the walls. They were all classical pieces, including art from Monet, Picasso, and Da Vinci.

I sort of feel bad for a lot of artists. The art community already gets a lot of hate from their peers only because it's "not a stable job". And so many people are forced to change their occupations just because they can't pay the bills while painting masterpieces.

And a lot of old painters only really get famous after their death. Like Vincent Van Gough. I doubt his pieces would be selling for millions if he was still alive. I never understood why it was like that. It's not like after he died his paintings suddenly became better.

I just hope I don't die in a way where people only care about me after my passing.

"Okay dear, here are the other volunteers." The receptionist chirps out, making me turn around. I almost choked on my own spit when I saw the two faces.

It was Hwang Yeji and Choi Soobin.