𝚜.𝟷 𝚎𝚙.𝟷𝟶 -𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚠𝚘-

"one comes of it, love it, love it / let go of it, love comes from it / we're not of this world for long

"one comes of it, love it, love it / let go of it, love comes from it / we're not of this world for long."

~

JJ's mood seemed to lighten considerably when they walked into the garage that held his dad's old boat. "There she be," he said in a bright voice. "Hey, girl." Tate and Kiara exchanged an amused glance as JJ patted the side of the boat lovingly. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1." He pulled a dusty blanket off of the hull. "The Phantom."

He looked back at Kiara and Tate expectantly. "Mmm," Kiara said shortly and Tate gave him a half-hearted thumbs up.

JJ didn't seem perturbed. "The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours- Forty years old! Forty." His eyes were lit up with excitement, but it didn't do anything to hide how tired he was. "And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

Kiara shrugged. "It's kind of a junker."

"Really?" He stepped away from the boat and gave Kiara a look of contempt. "She's right there, Kie. She can hear you."

'You've been replaced, T," Kiara said, laughing. The corner of Tate's mouth twitched upwards in entertainment.

"Let's just put it this way," said JJ. "You would not be smoking weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

Kiara sighed and leaned against the side of the boat. "I just hope it runs."

"Oh, no, she'll run alright," JJ insisted. "She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

Kiara raised her eyebrows at him, then they heard motorcycle wheels squealing outside and Kiara jumped up. "It's Pope. Finally." She started to jog around the boat to meet Pope, but stopped mid-step as Rafe Cameron rounded the corner.

"Hey, there," he said, a pool of sweat darkening the front of his shirt, "What's going on?"

Tate stood up straight and narrowed her eyes. "What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice suddenly sharp.

"How you guys doing?" Rafe asked, ignoring Tate, who stepped back until she was almost against JJ's chest.

Tate opened her mouth to ask Rafe again what he was doing, then there was a whistling noise from behind the boat. Barry, the drug dealer they'd stolen from, rounded the corner and cleared his throat. "Well, well..." In seconds, Barry had a gun cocked and pointed at JJ. JJ shoved Tate away a little too hard and put his hands up. "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road," Barry snarled. "I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money-" Before anyone could react, he pushed the gun into JJ's face and shoved him down to the ground.

Tate rushed forward without hesitation. The second she reached Barry to try and pull him off of JJ, an arm wrapped around her waist and lifted her off the ground. "Stop it!" she screamed at Rafe, who swung her around and threw her to the ground once she was away from Barry. Pain shot through her back, but she only let it blur her vision for a moment. She got to her feet and saw Kiara fighting with Rafe a few feet away from JJ, who was pinned to the ground by Barry.