𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1 || 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ||

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Y/n POV

    Creeeaaak

    The sound resonating from the door hinges of her apartment makes Y/n wince; they really need to get a new door soon. Well, that's not really something for Y/n to decide, her mother on the other hand...

    Ignoring the annoying sounds coming from the entrance of the L/n household, Y/n takes a step into her home—inhaling the sweet scent of pomegranates that swim through the air. The old shabby apartment is in the state Y/n had left it in, aside from the additional coasters that line the kitchen aisle—the only kind of proof that suggests to Y/n that her mom had company over. The drip, drip, drip of the broken faucet fills the empty air, a wet spot in the ceiling makes y/n recoil in annoyance, and lastly, the lady sitting on the old tan colored sofa reading a book Y/n herself picked out for her makes the young girl's lips smile.

    From afar, Y/n watches as the older lady's red-colored fingernails pick and play with the corner of the page before turning it. Her h/c hair, which normally cascades down her shoulders like beautiful waves, is pulled up into a ponytail, allowing tiny fringes of hair to fall over her forehead. She hums to herself, quiet and barely loud enough for Y/n to hear, but she makes it out all the same.

    Y/n hasn't been noticed yet.

    Huh.

    She's gonna have to get onto her mom about having better observation skills.

    Y/n carefully makes her way around the sofa in order to not frighten her mom; gently setting her school bag on the dark brown armchair. The girl turns back towards her mother who is already peering up at her with those glassy eyes of hers. She still has her makeup on from last night; her cheekbones being more pronounced and her eyelids coated in dark eyeshadow and eyeliner. Nothing seems off to Y/n before her mother smiles warmly up at her with her red lips.

    Her mom's lip is busted and bruised.

    Y/n is unable to stop herself from grimacing at the sight before her.

    Who the fuck