23 | Missed Call, Missed Opportunities

TOM
You are incredible darling

TOM
I literally cannot thank you
enough for what you've done

TOM
When do you think you'll
be home tonight?

Y/N
I'm finishing up at the court
house now, should be home in
about an hour or so x

TOM
I'll order Chinese to arrive
when you get in x

Mum went to the prison to sign Dad out with his lawyers straight after the court hearing. Harry and Sam drove Paddy back to the family home to meet everyone back there and they're going to FaceTime me any minute when Mum brings Dad back.

I would have gone to see him tonight but technically my Witness Protection will end after the feds wrap up all my paperwork. I'm dying to go back to my place again, to be in my own bed again and dress the same as I used to. I mean, I haven't changed myself that much during WITSEC but I've definitely bought a few knit sweaters and converse to fit in with these suburban schmucks.

I will be keeping them though.
I have shamelessly enjoyed knit sweaters these past few months and Y/N says I look cute in them.

Mum's FaceTime call chimes through and I set up my laptop in the living room so I can see them on the television but the camera on my laptop films me.

"He's home!" Mum squeals, wrapping her arms around Dad on the couch with Paddy and Sam sitting on the floor in front of them and Harry next to Dad.

"God, the house they have put you in is absolutely tiny," Dad scoffs, leaning forward into the camera to inspect the environment I'm in.

"Nice to see you too Dad, glad you're out of jail," I laugh, looking around my living room and shrugging at the size of it. It's definitely smaller than what we are all used to, but it's cozy.

"We're so happy we can do this call now Tommy, we've all missed you and your Dad so much. Not long now until you can return to your real life too hm? Any day now?" Mum smiles, tapping her hand against Dads thigh in excitement.

"So who's the girl?" Dad scoffs, knowing me all too well that nobody in their right mind would have the courage to bail him out of jail and substitute him for Uncle Jack.

"What girl?" I shrugged.

"The girl in the psych team who kept looking at you today. I'm not an idiot Thomas, how much did you pay her to bail me out?" Dad pressed, squinting into the camera.

"Nothing, she's uh, she's a personal friend... From WITSEC actually..." I smiled, Paddy giggling and muttering something to Sam next to him.

"Oi, don't talk shit about me just cos I'm not there to fucking hit you," I threaten, causing Mum to frown at me and tell me to be nice to my youngest brother.

"I did some digging in the car home. Turns out she bailed out a few of my guys... You telling me this woman did this all for free? What's in it for her huh? You run a background check on her? She trying to bribe us with owing her favours?" Dad said scrutinisingly, not trusting her.

"No Dad, listen to me. I uh, she lives with me at the moment. Let me just leave it at that," I said widening my eyes and looking at him as he finally understood what I was hinting towards.

"Wait, what girl are we talking about? I don't remember seeing anyone in court staring at Tom. Is she hot?" Harry asked disappointedly.

"Yes, now shut up," I sighed.