Chapter 8

It had been a couple of weeks since their adventure to the waterfall. Liam had a lot weighing on his mind since then, and his appointments with the optometrists and specialists only made his mood dampened. He only hoped Jameson hadn't thought it had to do with him, that in actuality, his sour mood was a result of Liam's circumstances and latest prognosis.

"I don't think I can come back here," Liam's voice cut the air like a knife. "When my vision goes, I mean."

"Why not?" Jameson turned to him, the words like a slap to the face.

Liam sighed. "The terrain isn't the greatest, the rocks, even the trip from the bus stop is quite hard to navigate."

"But a guide dog, your cane," Jameson ushered out. "Even your sister or someone could take you."

"I hate dependency," Liam said. "I want to do this on my own, even though I know I can't. I like my independence, even if it's hindered now; I don't like depending on people, being a burden."

"If this is about what your sister said, about how worried and scared she is for you—" Jameson paused, feeling his frustrations build and build as his voice rose. "You're not a burden. This is just a small hiccup. I've seen you practice with your cane, seen how cautious and adjusting you are. If she can't see that you are capable, are independent and strong despite it, then that's her burden to bear."

"Jamie—"

"No." At that point, Jameson had gripped Liam's wrist, a concerned yet decided look in those eyes of his. Liam could feel himself drowning in those stormy gray eyes of his, his breath being swept out from the brewing clouds within. "They're wrong. To be blind, a powerful sense ripped away from you so suddenly, now that's called being strong. Brave, capable, and the very epitome of independence. I've seen it, the way you carry yourself, push yourself to go further, to accept all that is. It appears she's the blind one for not being able to see that."

It took a second for Jameson's words to settle, to really sink and absorb into the marrow of Liam's bones. It unsettled him, not in a wrong way, but he was unraveling; feeling the pressures and fears of his prognosis looking worse and worse simply disintegrate with the sheer sincerity of the jogger's words. He had never heard such praise before, especially since the diagnosis, that it nearly brought him to tears.

"Can we just sit here? Listen to the sounds, and watch the mountains, maybe even skip some rocks?" Liam finally managed to stutter out.

"Of course."

Jameson watched as the shorter male squirmed under the praise, his fingers trailing random lines through the sand, mindlessly trying to distract himself. He understood what it was like to be the subject of surprising praise. He had felt it after his mother's funeral, residents all approaching him with how much they've missed him, missed his mother, and how great it was for Jameson to be out there working at his father's construction place.

And despite their kind words and intentions, Jameson felt the complete opposite. He hadn't been there for his mother, utterly hated his father's job, and didn't even feel like this town felt like home. He felt like a lie; an imposter in his own hometown. All Jameson saw was that his family wasn't the best, the people weren't as close as they made it seem, and he felt trapped. A bubble, preventing Jameson from what he really wanted. For his career, for his home, family, and his future.

Liam, it appeared, was the same. Trapped from his prognosis, confined and imprisoned by his own family, when Liam could handle himself. He had dreams and hopes just like Jameson.

But it was normal to feel hopeless, to feel cornered by circumstances at times. It was how people adapt, how someone persevered. And Jameson could see that Liam had more fight in him than people gave him credit for. He didn't see a blind man, didn't see a handicap; Liam was all those things Jameson said and more.

But he knew it'd take time for Liam to accept that. To admit that Liam was stronger than he thought. And until then, Jameson would be there, sitting in the sand beside him for as many visits as it would take.

After a few minutes of staring at the mountain range, Liam spoke first. "I couldn't ask that of you. Driving me here, taking me to the lake. Once my vision goes, I mean."

"It wouldn't be a bother at all. I enjoy jogging here. I'd like to run it one day, and that will surely take some time before actually getting to that level."

"No, what I mean is that I really don't think it'd be necessary anyways. I'll possibly have to move, possibly invest in a guide dog soon, and I don't think it would be anywhere near here."

Jameson frowned. "Well, if you're ever in town, I'd take you here. Sit here like we've done before and simply enjoy the lake. We can talk about all sorts of things or nothing at all."

"Jameson," his name rolled off Liam's lips smoothly, yet a sense of sternness was still behind it. "I appreciate the sentiment, really, I do. But you have your own life. Goals and dreams beyond just sitting with a blind guy at a lake. And without those cigarettes, your life's only just beginning. You don't have to worry about it affecting your lungs; you don't have to worry about your health or some prognosis."

"What if I want to continue this, to sit near the lake with you as friends," Jameson pondered. "Is that really such a bad idea? I can still pursue my dreams and goals even with my daily jog and hanging by the lake with you. I quite enjoy it out here, now that you showed me the beauty of the mountains I hadn't seen before."

Liam merely shook his head, letting out a defeated sigh. "It's just...there's more for you out there, beyond these sandy shores, mountains, and lake. You don't have to worry about depending on people or being tied down by anything. You should chase after all that it is you wanted."

"And if I said I don't mind having people rely on me or being in their company. I've enjoyed these past few months, haven't you?"

"Of course I have," Liam ushered. "I've loved it here."

"Then don't worry about it. You can visit here, and I'd be more than happy to revisit the trails, the waterfalls, or even just spend time in the sand skipping those stones you love."

"I'll think about it." Liam didn't want to hurt his feelings, or argue anymore, instead letting the sounds wash out the thoughts of what would become of their times at the lake.