Chapter 2

Amanda woke up quite late the next morning. The events of the previous night seemed fuzzy in her head, as if they had happened in a dream instead of reality.

After she had a shower and got dressed, she ate a large breakfast of porridge and muffins. As she ate she went over every detail of her conversation with Mark. He was so handsome. She still couldn't believe that he'd asked her for her phone number.

After cleaning her floors and the bathroom, she decided to go buy groceries. Her shopping took her longer than expected. A couple of her favourite clothing stores were having sales. She couldn't resist a sale! She returned home a few hours later, loaded down with bags. She was pleased with herself. She'd managed to find two interchangeable outfits at marked down prices.

After she put her groceries away, she searched her recipe books for a chicken recipe her mother had told her about a few days earlier. Once she found it, she started to prepare the chicken.

After she finished eating and washed the dishes, she worked on her lesson plans for the upcoming week. She was halfway through her work when her phone rang. Still preoccupied with her work, she picked up the phone and mumbled a greeting.

"Hi, Amanda. It's Mark. How are you?" The sound of his voice jolted her awake immediately.

"I'm fine, how are you?" she replied, hoping her voice didn't sound too shaky.

"I'm great. I didn't interrupt anything, did I?"

"No. I was just doing some plans for my class."

"I'm impressed," he said.

"Why?" she asked, surprised.

"No one I know would work on a Saturday night." Mark replied, making her laugh.

They talked for a while about their work. Amanda found out that Mark worked for the Ministry of Environment as well as a private firm. He only worked at the second job when there was a contract for him to contribute to.

Amanda was surprised when Mark asked her if she was afraid of heights.

"No, I don't think so," she answered, curious about his question.

"That's good," Mark said, sounding pleased. "Would you like to come flying with me tomorrow?"

For a moment, she didn't understand what he meant.

"Oh, you have your pilot's license?" she asked incredulously.

"Yeah." She could hear the laughter in his voice. "You were expecting me to say I have wings, weren't you?"

"No," she replied, laughing. "I was just surprised, that's all."

"I have my own plane so you don't have to worry about getting any feathers in your mouth."

Amanda laughed. He was so funny.

"I'd love to go," she said, feeling completely at ease.

"That's perfect!" Mark replied. "Why don't I pack us a picnic basket?"

"That's a good idea. What do you want me to bring?"

"I don't know....how about something for dessert?" he asked.

"Sure," she said, her mind already churning with ideas about what to make.

"When would you like me to pick you up tomorrow?" Mark asked.

She suggested 11:00 and he agreed. After she gave him directions to her house, they said their goodbyes and hung up.

Amanda felt as though she was floating when she went to sit back down at her kitchen table. She was excited at the prospect of seeing Mark again. But she was also nervous.