1

Spencer looked in front of him at the classroom auditorium that had thirty-one students sitting in the chairs. He and Rossi had done this seminar many times to spread the word about the FBI Academy and the BAU itself, and as he did it more often, he began to get more comfortable in front of college students who would never understand his jokes. He stood casually in front of the pull-down projection screen with his hands in his pockets, scanning the room constantly as he spoke.

"Most of us have done extensive post-graduate work in areas such as abnormal psychology and sociology as well as intensive study of relative case work and existing literature," Spencer explained.

"But that's after selection to the unit," Rossi added. "First, you have to be an agent, work in the field, and that's what we're here to talk about. For that, the academics are wide open. Everyone in this room, once you graduate, regardless of your course study, is eligible to apply to the FBI."

"What did you study?" one of the male students asked Rossi.

"Criminal justice," Rossi answered. "But sports appreciation was all full at my community college."

The students chuckled.

"I hold doctorates in chemistry, mathematics, and engineering, as well as BAs in psychology and sociology," Spencer informed them when Rossi looked at him.

"How old are you?" one of the female students asked.

"Uh, I'm thirty-two," Spencer answered. "I'll be thirty-three in two months. Um, I also have a BA in philosophy. Which reminds me that I have a joke."

Rossi sighed.

"How many existentialists does it take to screw in a light bulb?"Spencer asked them, trying to hold back his chuckle.

"Stop doing this," Rossi whispered to him.

Spencer waved him off and returned his attention to the students, "Two. One to change the light bulb and one to observe how it symbolizes an incandescent beacon of subjectivity in a netherworld of cosmic nothingness." He laughed, but the students all gave him blank looks as they did every time.

Except for one. When Spencer heard a laugh beside his own, his head snapped to the woman who was the culprit. He wished he had never looked at her, for he would never be able to get her out of his mind. She was stunning. Her laugh itself was melodic, but her entire appearance was... Well, words couldn't give her justice. She had cherry brown hair, which she had parted in the middle of her scalp, falling just below her shoulders. She had a pale complexion. Her lips were a rosy pink. And her eyes... They were a steel grey that pierced straight through him.

Spencer cleared his throat and averted his eyes after realizing that he had been staring at her for seven seconds, which was far too long, even under particular circumstances.

"Someone finally laughed at his joke," Rossi announced in an amused tone. "But before he does his quantum physics knock-knock joke, do we have any other questions about opportunities in the FBI?"

"Did you ever shoot anybody?" a guy asked.

Rossi and Spencer just looked at each other and ignored his question.

They concluded the seminar within the next half hour and chatted with some students who had actual questions and observations afterwards. As a group of students finished their conversation and walked away from him and Rossi, the woman who entranced Spencer approached them.

"I thought I recognized you," Rossi said. "Your father is Colonel Rees, right?"

"He is, "the woman confirmed, smiling. Her smile was so warm that Spencer felt that he was melting. "He's told me all about Sergeant Major Rossi."