ⁿ/14

TW// Cancer

𝐀𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦, tears rolling down her cheeks as she tried to comprehend the information she had received. Her hands were still trembling and her knees were weak even one hour after she received the devastating news.

How was a young girl who hadn't even lived half her life supposed to accept the news that her father was dying?

Her younger brother's monotone voice echoed in her mind. Those four simple words, "Father has lung cancer," were enough to shatter her heart in pieces. She knew life was difficult at times, but she couldn't bear it when it slapped her straight in the face.

She needed to go back to England. She'd made up her mind that she'd spend the final months of her father's life with him. However, her life here, her friends, her career, and her...

Chandler

She needed to leave Chandler. It was inevitable; she needed to return to England, and her boyfriend would most likely refuse to leave his entire life behind to join her for however long it would take.

She debated whether to leave without saying anything or to break up with the American she had fallen for, as she stared at the phone.

She sighed walking over to that old phone of hers and dialled his number, which she had memorized long ago. The sweet tone of Chandler's voice entered her ears after a few rings. When she heard his voice, her stoic face cracked up to a soft smile.

"Hey um," she began, her voice still trembling from crying the past hour. "I was wondering do you want to meet up. Central perk. Today?" She broke up her words in an attempt to keep her voice steady enough as to not alert Chandler.

"Sure! What time?" Through his voice, she could feel his smile. She sighed and hung up after telling him the hour. Not a goodbye. Not even those playful no you hang up jokes.

And that alerted the brunette on the other side of New York. He sat on the couch, dwelling on every detail of that conversation. Did she want to end their relationship? Was she becoming dissatisfied with him? A lot of questions started popping up in his mind.

He despised conflict, but he was willing to show up for Amy. Even if it meant getting his heart broken.

And so he went through with it. He got all dressed up, fixing his hair to try to look his best. He only took care of his looks when he was anxious. And doing this whole routine alerted his roommate. Joey, on the other hand, chose not to say anything about it because he understood it was best to remain silent in such circumstances.

And so Chandler was off. His legs carried him to Central Perk by themselves; he didn't worry about the destination, his mind was preoccupied with other, more anxious thoughts. He came to a halt when he got close to the small coffee house that held so many of his memories, memories including Amy

And there she was. Even before he entered, he noticed her through the window. She looked mesmerizing as always, although her cheerful aura was gone; her back slouched, and her eyes fixated on the wall instead of the usual book she carried in her bag.

Chandler took a deep breath and entered the room, making his way to her. She didn't even notice his presence for a few seconds. To gain her attention, he cleared his throat and said, "Uh hey."

"Oh Chandler," she responded softly, as if Chandler had cleared her mind of her bad thoughts. "Uh, sit down," she said, and he obeyed.

"Chandler, I uh. I really don't know where to start" she mumbled as his eyes widened.

"Wait, listen whatever it is I'll fix it. If the jokes are getting on your nerves, I'll stop making them. I'll offer to help with the groceries more often. Just don't break up with me. You are the most amazing person I've ever met. You're funny, smart, and absolutely stunning. And-" he was cut off by her grabbing his hand. Her fingers gently rested on top of his knuckles. He notices her nails were shorter than usual, probably from anxious biting on them.

"Chandler I don't want to break up with you" she told him as he quieted down but only for a second before a worse potential outcome flashed in his mind.

"Are you pregnant!? Oh my god!" He was starting to freak out as she laughed. Even in situations like these he managed to make her smile. God this was going to be incredibly hard for the Brit

"I'm not pregnant! Yet..." she winked as he freaked out a bit by that.

"Then what is it?"

"I'm. I'm moving back to England." She told him straightforward as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What, why? You have everything here. A job, friends, me!"

"My father is ill, Chandler. As the eldest I have to go back home." She answered him.

"Then I'll come with you!" He blurred out as she put her head in her hands.

"This is exactly what I was worried about. I don't want you to give up your entire life for me." He placed his arm on her shoulder in a comforting manner. The Brit slowly lifted her head from her palms to look deep into the American's icy blue eyes.

"We can still make it work! I can visit, and- and I can write letters and call!" He tried to come up with anything, but she refuted that as well.

"I won't have time since I'll be too busy with my father. Please believe me when I say that this is for the best." Her eyes began to water as she spoke. Why was eye contact so difficult for the girl suddenly? It wasn't like the two of them hadn't looked at each other before, so why was it different this time?

"What if I wait for you!" He inquired, desperate for a solution to make this work.

"This might take anywhere from a few months to a few years, Chandler. I can't keep you waiting for that long; it's unfair." The brunette sighed, as if he didn't have anything else to say.

"I'll still be here waiting for you. No matter how long you take." Suddenly Amy rose to her feet and kissed him on the forehead.

"My flight's tomorrow at 9." A small sad smile tugged on her lips. "Meet me there one last time"

~~~

𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭. The American couldn't bring himself to meet up with his love at the airport. He didn't want that to be the last time they met. He was sure that they would meet again. When everything and everyone is fine. And they would reunite.

He was certain of it.

He wanted to prove so bad that the coffee house confrontation wouldn't be the last time they spoke. He tried convincing himself that not going to the airport was the right reason.

But no matter how much he tried to persuade himself that they would meet again and that he would wait however long he needed to, he couldn't deny that it had been 2 years. And there wasn't even a single phone call between them.

He had fought the impulse to board the next plane to London numerous times, so when he learned that Ross's wedding would be held in England, feelings of pent up sadness and frustration bubbled up. But most importantly, feelings of old love resurfaced.