~44~

Asteria woke up early to pack her suitcase on the last day before summer

Asteria woke up early to pack her suitcase on the last day before summer. She made sure to flip her septum piercing up before leaving the Hufflepuff common room for the Hogwarts Express which waited for the students at the Hogsmeade platform.

She hurried onto the train and walked down the aisle, scanning for an empty compartment until she finally found one located at the back of the train.

Asteria let out a sigh as she put her feet up on the seat opposite and she stayed sitting like that until the train came to a halt in London.

She stood up and pulled her suitcase off the shelf above before following the crowd of students off the train and onto the platform.
She scanned around until she spotted her father and stepmother who were pulling faces of disgust.

"What took you so long? With been stuck around these filthy mudbloods." Cepheus hissed at his daughter before they walked towards the exit.

-☘︎︎-

As soon as she walked through the grand door to the manor, she hurried up the stairs to avoid a conflict occurring. She closed her door before letting out a deep sigh and jumping onto her bed.

She stayed on her back, looking up at the ceiling and resting her hands on her stomach. She stayed inspecting the ceiling until the sun started to set.

She then moved to the windowsill, the window open and her feet hanging out. Suddenly, her golden owl was flying in her direction with a letter in its beak.

She jumped off the windowsill and watched the birds land on the place where she was sat. Carefully, she took the letter from its beak and unfolded it. She did not recognise the neat handwriting which made her eyebrows furrow.

'Dear Asteria,

I asked Sirius where you lived so I'm hoping he was telling the truth and this is not a letter to a random person. I'm sorry for sending this letter in case your father found it but I thought it would be rude to not invite you to a picnic which we've planned. It's on Thursday if that is okay.

Lily xxx'

Asteria sighed before glancing over at the closed door which made a small crack at the bottom which let light from the landing flood in.

-☘︎︎-

It was a few days later and Asteria woke up when the sun was still rising. She rubbed her eyes and she walked down to the kitchen to get herself a cup of tea which was when her father walked in.

He did not speak to her so the kitchen was silent apart from the clinks from her spoon hitting the sides of the cup. "Can I go to meet Regulus today?" She asked Cepheus who let out a groan. "Fine." He said harshly which made her roll her eyes before walking back to her room to get changed.

She was used to her father's not caring about her so she shrugged it off. After putting her cup down, she scanned through her wardrobe until she found a white dress with blue flowers and puffy sleeves.

She quickly tied a bandana in her hair to keep it out of her face before sneaking down to the living room where a fire was. Luckily, it was empty so she grabbed a handful of Floo powder and stepped into the unlit fireplace.

After announcing her destination, she became a bright flame before she arrived in a wizarding pub which Lily told her to go to as it was close to Cokeworth.

She wiped down her dress before pushing the wooden door open to leave. Leaning on the wall at the front were Marlene and Dorcas who were smoking. "You made it. We thought you got the loss." Marlene said when she noticed the Hufflepuff.

"Come on. Before Lily eats all the good food." Dorcas said before dropping the cigarette and putting it out with her heels.

Asteria followed the two girls until they were in grassy hills. Waiting on a blanket was a redhead girl. "You made it!" Lily exclaimed as she hurried up and hugged the girl which caught her off guard.

"So where is your house?" Asteria asked as she looked around the rolling hills. "Over there." She answered as she pointed at a small house nearby. "It's no manor like you're use to but it's home." She added with a shrug. "I'd rather live there than an echoey, cold manor."

The four girls then sat down as Lily unpacked the basket of food she had brought. "What's this?" Asteria asked, picking up a piece of food that was unfamiliar to her. "A sausage roll. Have you never had one?" Lily replied with furrowed eyebrows.

She shook her head before taking a bite. "How have I not found this earlier!" The Hufflepuff exclaimed which made the girls chuckle. Asteria then reached over for the bowl of ruby red strawberries and took a bite.

"Potter has resorted to asking me out in letters now." Lily sighed which made the others snicker. Asteria went to grab another strawberry but she was stopped by Dorcas. "When did you have that rash on your face?" She asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Marlene then looked down at the strawberries. "Are you allergic to strawberries?" She asked with the girl. "I don't know. I have eaten them since I was a kid." She replied with a shrug which made Lily huff.

"Let's hope you don't die." She said as she grabbed her arm and dragged her towards her house. "Great encouragement," Asteria said sarcastically.

Lily soon sat the girl down on the couch in the living room before hurrying to get her a cup of milk. She could see herself in a mirror that hung on the wall. Across her cheeks and chest was a red and itchy rash and her eyes were watering to the point where she couldn't see.

Lily hurried to give her the cup of cold milk which she quickly downed. Marlene handed her some tissues which she used to wipe her eyes so she could finally see again.

Just then, someone walked down the stairs. The girl had a boney face with dark hair. Her eyes widened with horror when she saw the girls. "Why are all your freaky friends here Lily?" She hissed.

"Freaky? You're the one with a giraffe neck." Asteria replied which made her glared at her. "Who do you think you're talking to?" Lily's sister asked.

Asteria got up from the couch and stood at the bottom of the stairs. The girl then noticed the rash across her face. "Get her away! She'll give me measles!" She exclaimed before running upstairs which made them all laugh apart from Lily.

"Sorry, Lily. She was just being a cunt." Asteria apologised to the Gryffindor. "No, it's fine." She replied with a slight smile on her face.