8. // Depression and Obsession

(a/n- Do anyone listen to the songs?? They're good okay!)

TW: Smoking, mention of anxiety, fighting.

This chapter is mostly about smoking, this might be triggering to some readers.

__ 

Wilbur woke up from hearing footsteps and his bedroom door slowly open, but he was way too tired to check who it was. He grunts and turns around as he hears a drawer open and looks up at his brother Tommy standing next to his nightstand.

"What the hell are you doing?" Wilbur mumbles and sees how his brother looks at him nervously. "I-i was just looking for something" He says as he hides something behind his back but Wilbur was too tired to care.

The brunette looks at the time on his phone and realizes he overslept. "Shit" He yawns and before Tommy exits his room he yells. "Get ready, you have school in 10 minutes".

__

Wilbur was waiting in his car, he felt like shit from the day before. He sighs and lights a cigarette in the hope to clear his mind.

Just as he exhales smoke he sees Tommy walk out of the front door, towards the car. "Fuck.." Wilbur mumbles and throws away his half-finished cigarette. He didn't smoke in front of Tommy because he was just a kid and he didn't want to pass on his bad habits, and it also just made him feel terrible doing it in front of him.

Tommy opens the car door and slams it behind him, getting in the seat next to Wilbur. "I heard you and Tubbo have gotten pretty close" Wilbur asks as they drive away, trying to start a conversation.

"Yeah! He's cool, not a man though so I need to protect him" Tommy says and grins as Wilbur laughs.

"Isn't he older than you?" Wilbur asks and giggles. "Only a couple of months!" Tommy pouts and they arrive at the school.

__

Classes passed and Tommy got more and more anxious, the night where he found Phil on the floor couldn't get out of his mind, and images of his unconscious body flashed every now and then causing him to slightly panic.

Finally, they had a lunch break and Tommy went to look for Tubbo but immediately saw him waiting outside of the classroom.

Tommy just grabbed Tubbo's hand and dragged him up the stairs and towards a door leading out to the roof. They weren't allowed to be there but sometimes when Tommy or Tubbo needed to get away somewhere private, they'd go there.

"Why are we even here?" Tubbo asks when he got up on the roof and stopped by the door to look at his friend who was fiddling with something in his pocket. Tommy seemed different recently, he constantly zoned out and he was surprisingly quiet, but whenever he asked about it, Tommy would always get mad.

Tommy just stayed quiet and walked out on the roof, sitting down near the edge and jerking his head towards space next to him. Tubbo walks up to the blonde and sits down next to him. "You okay?" He asks as he sees Tommy looking anxious and fidgeting with a string on his hoodie.

"Yeeees Tubbo! Stop asking all the time" Tommy answers, and giggles nervously before pulling something out of his pocket. "Look what I got" He says and Tubbo looks down at the items in his hands. When he saw what it was, Tubbo immediately got worried.

A pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

"What the hell Tommy!?" Tubbo yells and starts to freak out. "You fucking smoke?!!"

Tommy just rolls his eyes and looks up at his friend that was staring at him with a confused look on his face. "Chill out man! I just thought id give it a try" He says and pulls out one of the cigarettes.

"Are you insane?! It's dangerous!!" Tubbo yells and stands up. "Do you want to fucking die?!!"

Tommy also stands up and starts to get upset. "It's not like anything will happen if I try it once!? And Wilbur does it, I've seen him! So why can't I if he can!?" Tommy yells back and Tubbo opens his mouth to say something but stumbles on his words.

"I-its wrong Tommy" Tubbo eventually manages to say and his eyes start to tear up. "Will does it and he always seems happier and calmer after! I'm tired of all of this shit Toby, and if smoking helps I'll try it. I'm a man you know!!" Tommy yells to his friend and watches how Tubbo breaks down on the roof and cries.

Tommy sure was mad but seeing his best friend like this didn't give him much of a choice, he immediately felt bad and ran up to the sobbing boy to hug him. "I'm sorry Tubbo" He says while hugging him tighter and hearing how he calms down and his sobs fade away.

When Tubbo stops crying they just sit in silence for a couple of minutes before Tubbo says something. "Are you sure you're okay though?".

Tommy sighs and looks down in his lap. "I've just been going through a lot, you know" He says followed by "I just wanted something to take my mind off everything, just try it, not anything more". Tubbo just stays quiet as Tommy continues talking "It seems to help Wilbur, I can just try once". Tubbo shrugs and watches his friend pull up the package and lighter again.

"I'll just try it once" Tommy says and pulls out a cigarette. "You promise?" The brunette asks in a worried tone and looks up at the boy next to him.

"I promise"

__ 

Words: 968

Thank you so much for reading chapter 8 of midnight thoughts!

Eat something and drink some water.

Love you, take care <3