Chapter 4

Song of the Chapter: Better Than Me BY The Brobecks

Kate's Pov

The song blasted through my small room, I huffed before jumping out of bed and running to the shower.When I was done, I washed my face and checked my clock, hissing when soap got in my eye. Rubbing it out, I struggled to tie my shoes and grabbed my phone.

Today was the day I would finally see which school I could get into. See, my family and I decided it would be a better idea to do requests for all of the hero-based schools I wanted to go to and see which one I get into, and if I get into many, choose the best one. Yeah, not the most creative way, but hey, it got the job done.

"Hey Nonna." I gave a small peck on the small woman's cheek. "Morning, belle mare." Ever since around a year ago when my mom died in the car accident (btw I got the fucks what they deserved like an absolute babe<3) I thought living with my grandparents was the best idea. My entire family lived pretty much in the same area, a small neighborhood in Sicily near the beach. Everything was really nostalgic since I always went there during summer.

"Katie! We got somethin' in the mail!" A gruff voice yelled, a cheerful tone scratching at the surface. Bolting out of the door, I ran to the small mailbox to see what came.

After around a month passed of sending each of the student requests, it was finally time to see which ones I would be going to be accepted in. Of course, it I don't get into any of them my family and I had a backup idea. Following the end of my last year of middle school, I had been training for hero training camps to help with heroing school; since everyone knew it wouldn't be easy.

"What is it??" I asked in a loud, curious manner, eyes wide and interested. I faced broad shoulders, still and oddly quiet. "Zio?"

He stood still, stiff and awkward, and oddly sad and chilling. "Zio, you're acting weird. If I didn't get it, you can just say it, you don't have to act all possessed." I stated, tones of annoyance and sadness tinting my voice.

He turned around, dark eyes watery and a wobbly smile spread on his face. My eyebrows raised at the sudden change in manner. His long, tan arms wrapped around me suddenly, picking me up in the process. My eyes were wide and confused, knitted eyebrows and straight mouth expressing it.

"Zio.." I mumbled, breathless from the hug.

Before I could say anything else, he unwrapped his arms and smiled down at me, hands on my shoulders and hunching down to see me clearly. He was quite a bit taller than me, being around 6'5''. His dark chestnut eyes watery and thick brown eyebrows arched upwards. Matched with his twisty smile made it oddly happy.

"YOU GOT IN!!" He bursted loudly and happily. Quickly, he grabbed me and pulled me in the apartment.

"Huh? What? Wait? I- huh?" I mumbled, dumbfounded. It was all so confusing, it was just my uncle screaming about how I "got in". I bet when I look back on it, I'll laugh and joke about it.

He plopped me onto the worn down leather couch, my face blank with a confused smile.

"Seriously???!" A woman's voice yelled, excitedly. All I could hear was my confused thoughts. "Katie, I swear- Amo, if you're lying I'll going to blend you!" From my muffled thoughts, I could hear the voice of my Zia, Angel Anatolia.

"Angel, I swear! Look! Let's just-" The large man moved, trying to figure out of how to open the acceptance letter; turns out it wasn't a letter. "Shut the front door."

After a moment, Amo (the uncle if you haven't guessed yet) was moved out of the way by Angel, who fixed the letter and a video was played over the sender.

Finally getting out of my gaze into the void, I looked up to see a video of a small creature with white fur. It had a head of a mouse and a large scar over one of his eyes, dog-like paws and a thin tail that looked like one of a cat. Wearing a casual formal outfit including a red tie and a double-breasted waistcoat. Overall, they looked interesting.

They began talking, the creature's voice was friendly and slightly high, due to it being of animal form, it wasn't surprising.

They began talking,

"Hello Ms. Randazzo, I am deeply apologetic if I may mispronounced your name. Please inform me if you accept this, so I can correct myself." The way the language was used was so formal, like they were talking to someone of royalty. "If you are confused, I am Nezu, the principal and head of Japan's top heroing schools, u.a. You may not know of this school, but I am glad to accept you request. I am aware that you were not the one to request yourself in your folder, but nonetheless, it seems you look like someone that we would love to have at our academy. Yes, the stakes may be confusing for someone on the other side of the world to accept such a request, but I have convinced the rest of the staff that you would be an amazing addition to our students in top classes. Though, yes, we understand that the person requested you a year earlier, I think it's an excellent opportunity to get you even more ready for our training as well as language lessons and such. I understand that Japanese is one of the harder languages to learn in the span of a year, I am certain that an aspiring student such as yourself wouldn't have trouble. Thank you for your time and we hope you accept this offer. Have a nice day and good luck!"

The video ended with information about the school's information regarding uniforms, training, as well as language teachers.

I paled, nervously scratching and picking at my hands and nails at the idea of going to such a school. I mean, what if I fail dramatically? Can't speak fluently or get expelled on the spot because I can't meet up with the standards. Getting kicked out of Catholic school was a clear example of a small mistake (totally not) leading up to something as serious as being expelled.

Sweating and looking away, I try to think about other things to calm my nerves. 'Cooking, no too many memories of messing up. Swimming, you didn't know about your quirk and made the pool into a sauna. Cycling, remember when you used sweat to freeze the gears together; that was an expensive bike!' I hum, irritated. Then a soft surface moved under my hand, making me pet it. My pale blue eyes looked down to see the family cat, Mino. He's a black cat with a large white patch over the entirety of his right legs that moves along his stomach in a triangle like shape.

I smile down at him and pet him as my family members talk. I couldn't hear much, but I could tell what the list of the entire thing was: "Omg cool, u.a." Although not a lot of information was given about the academy, they were as excited as they could be. It's completely understandable, but I could tell it was going to be a long, stressful ride of training and trying to make sure I keep the standard.

I sigh. 'I really hope I can do this.'

1274 words, 2 pages