On the Run

ALICE

"Are they still behind us," I asked Nicky, gasping, as she dragged me through the forest.

"Yes they're still behind us! Now run faster, you dummy!" She said as she continued to drag me, running faster than I thought possible.

"Who are you calling a dummy," I asked jumping over a fallen log. Branches scraped our arms and legs as we passed. The dense forest would almost be magical if we weren't running for our lives.

"You! Now! Go! Faster!" Now you're probably wondering why two normal girls are running through the woods. To be honest I had no clue myself, but let's rewind back to the beginning.

("I'm telling the flashback." "They don't know who you are yet!" "They don't know who you are either." "Right, well, I'm Alice, and this is Nicky. We are unfortunately the two girls in the story. Don't worry. This will all make sense later, but for now enjoy.")

A Few Minutes ago...

NICKY

I look down the hallway left and right, tiptoeing back to my room, hoping my roommate wouldn't notice I was gone. I slowly opened the door, cringing when it gives out a loud creak. My face scrunched up as I waited for her to turn on the living room light and bust me, but nothing. No light flashed on; she was nowhere to be seen. Which was odd; I stepped through the front door, sighing with relief. It was short lived, however because right as I stepped through the entrance my face was met with a frying pan. "Bang!"

I groggily opened my eyes, groaning as I felt my sore head to see my roommate staring whimsically out the window in thought. I gave off an even louder groan attempted to sit up. She turned her head, and smiled apologetically at me as she started to speak.

"I thought you were an intruder." I gave her a glare that could melt a glacier.

"Sure you did. Just like you didn't mean to hit me in the face with a tennis racket last week! You live to abuse me. Now, why are you so jumpy tonight?" I asked her, rubbing my poor, swollen head, Man, she had a mean swing.

"I found something today," she said, staring at the frying pan she held in her hands so tightly, her knuckles were turning white. I really wish she'd put it down.

("Oh, wow! You start where I hit you with the frying pan." "Well this is where it began isn't it?" "Yes but.....fine, continue. ")

What did you fine, I asked," getting nervous at her tone. Alice is never this grave about anything,

"You have to follow me." She said getting up from her spot on our bright blue couch, finally setting her favorite weapon. Thank God, I thought silently. I moved to follow her, momentarily ignoring the massive bruise that was sure to from on my poor forehead. It was sure to turn all sorts of shades of black and blue in the morning.

("I didn't hit you that hard." "Yes. Yes, you did. I checked." "I said I was sorry." "No you didn't!" "I didn't? Hm, well I'm sorry okay. At least you didn't have a concussion." "Alice!" "Sorry, keep going.")

Alice led me through the back entrance of our apartment building, past old town market where our favorite Chinese restaurant was, to an old, bleak, run down warehouse. It was literally falling apart at the seams. All the windows were broken, the paint was peeling off, there was no roof, and the window frames had spider webs hanging from them. The door was hanging off one bolt. To be honest it was a dump.

"Is this what you do all night when you can't sleep. You hoodlem'." I asked her, staring at the building in front of us. I was not impressed.

"No, I usually just research, but I found this building one afternoon when one of my classes were let out early with this device," she said, holding up a rectangular object that was about the size of a phone, but with a weird antenna sticking out of the top.