Broken Dreams

Summary: When Cassie's ex returns, she has to reflect on the person she was and the love she's found that is worth fighting for.

The stage was set for their graduation party. His mom's ring was in his pocket; his sister had arranged with the caterers to serve Dom Perignon for the first toast. All he needed to do was calm his nerves.

From the moment he'd met her at freshman orientation, Jackson McAllister had been smitten. After four years together, in his mind they were inevitable, and he wanted the rest of forever with her.

Their first meeting had been coincidental. He'd seen her across the quad, a lost look in her eyes as she scanned the campus map. He'd stopped to help because he'd been raised a gentleman. He'd stayed because he'd been instantly attracted to those sparkling eyes that were an interesting shade of green with hints of blue.

They had gotten to talking and by the end of that day it was like they had known each for other forever. She was a Psychology major with a minor in dance. He was there to follow in his father's footsteps and earn a degree in Political Economics.

He'd asked her out before the first week was out. They agreed to be exclusive after the first month and had moved in together in an off-campus apartment as soon as freshman year was over. Now they were graduating in two days, and he was ready for the start of something more.

He had meant to wait until they were alone, but she'd been laughing with her brother about something. He found himself falling even deeper in love and he knew this was the moment. Then, he was on his knees, their family and friends silent around them, waiting, as he asked her to be his.

"I'm sorry, but I can't marry you," she told him after she led him outside, away from prying eyes and ears.

Those expressive eyes that he could spend eternity staring into as they made love were full of regret, tears waiting to fall before she blinked them away.

"I love you, Jack, you know I do," he heard the words as if in a tunnel. "But I'm not in love with you. I'm sorry."

He watched the truth in her eyes and a part of him hated her for it. As she handed him back the ring, he saw his dreams—the ones of him and her and their family—fade away and knew that nothing would change her mind.

"Goodbye, Cassie."

Snapping the box closed, he walked away from her and everything he had ever wanted.

Eight years later...