Chapter 4: A Lost Metropolis

I let out a deep breath.

First day on the job. I've got this.

Of course, this is just maintenance work. Like Samuel said when I arrived in Atlantis six days ago, I must do work like this first-the work everyone has to do at some time or another-before they really start assessing my skills to see what long term jobs I can get. Still, it's something. It's work. I can feel useful.

It's really not so bad here. Everyone is nice, polite. I've even met a few humans, although they are all referred to as Atlanteans since this is now their homes. They told me in time I would come to refer myself as one as well. I told them we will see.

But I have been fed, given nice clothing, and Samuel has answered every query I've had. I wish he was with me today, but he had his own job to attend to. He was asked to go diving today, and he can't neglect his job to make sure I do my own.

I look down at the uniform given to me. It's simple-a button-up shirt and a pair of pants that comes with a belt. Both items of clothing are a light blue color, and the belt is a bright white. I doubt it will remain that color for long, considering the work that will need to be done...

As for shoes, Samuel was able to convince his sister to let me borrow a pair of hers. I have yet to meet her, but I hope I can soon so I can thank her.

"Five!"

I tense, my head immediately turning to find the source of who called out my name. Almost everyone has been calling me Five, with only Samuel really calling me Callie. I recognize the voice almost instantly, even before I see Jenny rushing up to meet me.

"Five, there you are," She says, and I blink. This is the first time I've seen her since we reached Atlantis. Samuel never took me to see her because I never asked, and I'm assuming she never asked to see me because she was never brought my way either.

"Hello," I say awkwardly.

"Have they sent you over to these underwater maintenance tunnels for work too?"

I look down at my uniform, which is almost the exact same as hers, save for the fact that my shirt has 'Morse' written on it and hers has 'Playfair'. "Um, yes..."

"You'd better begin warming up. The labor is demanding. I suppose we are guests, but still, expecting us to work when we've only just arrived..." She fiddles with her fingers before looking at me. "How are you, Five? Are you frightened? I'm... I'm a little frightened."

"Why?" I ask. I can understand still feeling resentful or upset over being stuck here. I've come past it, mostly, with my remaining irritation being centered around not having a choice to stay rather than actually being here. But not everyone can get over it so easily. I understand that, but why is she frightened?

"The city is beautiful, of course," She says quickly, looking at the glass tunnels, riveted together with the strange gray metal that makes up most of the doors, then to the floor. "The surfaces covered in mother of pearl is especially breathtaking. Even the cables and service panels around us are covered with it. Not to mention the view of the ocean. It's so enchanting to see the squid and schools of fish....

"But it's so inhuman, made for a people far stronger than us. I can't move a single door without the help of an Atlantean." Her lips curl into a sneer. "And the way they look at us. That pity. Why shouldn't they pity us? They've injected us with a compound that will make us explode if we ever return to the surface. We are prisoners, for all the freedoms they speak of.

"And I can never forget this is the place that destroyed my brother's vessel and..." Jenny shakes her head while I look at her with wide eyes. "No, I can't know that for certain."