Fate's a Funny Thing

"And I'm not your protagonist

I'm not even my own
I don't know anything

I don't even know what I don't know"

Luz Noceda

"Miss Noceda."

I snap my eyes to the front of the classroom, a blank expression on my face as I meet my teachers stern gaze. "Yes?"

She walked between the lined desks, stopping near mine in the back of the class. "I suggest you pay attention, or else you will fail the upcoming exam." Using the ruler she was holding, she made a face as she pushed my feet off of the empty desk next to me. I rolled my eyes and sat up, picking up my pencil and giving her an overexaggerated smile.

She huffed and walked back to the front of the classroom, picking up on the lesson again as the other students looked away from me and started scribbling down notes. 

I rolled my eyes and dropped my pencil, resting my chin on my palm and ignored the lesson. It was nothing I didn't know anyways. The teacher thought I was a lackey, having no care for my education and being a bad influence on others. In reality I was probably smarter than half the kids in this class. Things were easy for me to learn, and all that time reading random books from the library during lunch really paid off.

They didn't need to know that though. If people knew how easy I could pass this class, and all my classes, they would just use me to get a good grade. 

That's how it was before. Besides, its better this way. I knew who actually wanted to be my friend, and who just wanted to use me.

It's not exactly like people were fighting to know me left and right. Most people were too scared to anyways. Ever since I learned to stop dealing with everyone's shit and punched a kid in the nose for calling me a fag, everyone has given me a wide berth. There was only one person that didn't judge me for anything, even if he didn't show it well. I knew he cared for me. 

He's there for me because he cares. He does. He's the only one that cares.

No one cares.

The bell suddenly rang loudly and I flinched, covering my ears. I squeezed my eyes shut, clenching my fists against my head as panic spread in my chest. It was only the bell. It was only the bell.

I jumped as my pocket suddenly vibrated, snapping me out of it as I pulled my phone out. It was a text from him. Quinton.

Hey, meet me after practice in the locker room?

I smirked and quickly typed out a response.

Sure. Anything planned? ;)

I quickly packed up my stuff, shoving it all in my bag before slinging it over my shoulder as I waited for him to reply. It was the end of the day, so his practice would be over in about 30 minutes. Usually he has me meet him at his car, then he would take me somewhere to eat or just chill, talking in the back seat with the radio on as background music. 

Lately though Quin has been acting weird. In the hallways whenever I saw him and waved, he would act like he hadn't seen me and walk the other way. Then later when I brought it up, he basically called me delusional and said he just hadn't seen me. 

I didn't think much of it. Maybe I just thought he saw me and was ignoring me. Maybe I was going crazy.

You know the truth.

I clenched my teeth but then felt my phone ding again with a message. I clicked open the screen and read the notification, stopping in my tracks.

Need to talk abt smth.