Turn All The Clocks Back

Turn All The Clocks Back - ONESHOT.

--

:: In the Kingdom of Aisemid, the clocks choose it's soul-bound rulers, but many radicals distrust the recent choice of Queen and Princess. With the war against the Chaton Empire, the new Queen Dorienne and Princess Yara have little to no time to be fretting about the issues of the heart. But when the war was won, and the radicals decide to make their move, the Princess' life soon falls to danger, and Dorienne will have to save Yara and their relationship before it's too late. ::

.oOo.

In the Kingdom of Aisemid, the clocks choose it's soul-bound rulers. When they are born, an intricate mark could be found on their back, and each design is unique. For Kings or Queens, a large spade fanning out into trails of Roman numerals and clock hands is common, and smaller, unparalleled designs fill the spaces in between. Princes and Princesses could be identified by the natural tattoos of a smaller spade, framed by elegant swirls consisting of Roman numerals.

Simply, they are meant for each other, no matter how they may try to deny fate and test their bonds. They will always fall in love.

So then why...?

''I don't feel the same way about you.''

It's not...

That wasn't... That's not what the Queen was supposed to say to her Princess...

''I don't love you. Leave. I can't bear to look at you.''

That's not how it was supposed to work. Yara had fallen in love with Dorienne, albeit they did bicker often. They struggled through so much together, as Queen and Princess, having to continue the war against the Chaton Empire their predecessors left behind. And they won. They fought hand in hand to protect this kingdom and each other.

In the beginning Yara was skeptical about how immature and obnoxious the Queen was. She was new to the world of royalty (with Dorienne's spades mark uncommonly appearing overtime rather than at birth), while Yara had been educated and raised in proper etiquette ever since she could say, ''Mama.'' But she quickly found that Dorienne was capable of matching her in intelligence and wit (stubbornness, too), and she had shown her worth as the Queen of Aisemid in battle. She was valiant, and true, and Yara loved her.

The very notion of the rulers and true love was incredibly romantic and fantastic and annoying and it was the only thing the Princess rebelled against. That was years ago. But why now... Now when Yara was finally coming to accept her feelings and believe in the decision of the clocks...

''Your confession is really troublesome. Whatever gave you the idea that I would love someone like you?''

Why? Why, why, why...

Yara didn't realize she was shaking until she saw the harsh twitching of her hands. Images and memories of that moment flickered behind her eyelids, her frame trembling. She placed a hand against the porcelain sink, and stared unseeingly at her reflection in the mirror. She didn't have to see it. She could feel the hot tears on her cheeks, could feel the roots of her hickory hair sting from where she pulled on it, could feel the makeup on her face from the dinner party now smudged and disgusting and thick on her eyes. She felt like she was dropped and she was crashing, crashing, crashing.

''Leave. I can't bear to look at you.''

What happened to that brilliant, beautiful smile? Why did she look at her with so much pity and scorn?

Then - Yara felt a dull sense of resignation. Of course. Dorienne may have been awkward and chilidish at first, but she recalled how eventually Dorienne adapted to the role as the Queen. How magnetic and electrifying she was during war.