Saying Goodbye

You feel strange. Normally when you plan on leaving somewhere or going on a trip you pack your things, make you sure you have all the correct paperwork and run around the house stressed out at the last minute, making sure you haven't forgotten anything but when you don't have anything to prepare or any belongings to pack it feels strange. The Polar tang will arrive at Pellar Island tomorrow at around noon. It feels so rushed somehow, you feel restless and anxious  when there's nothing to do but to wait. You've always hated waiting like this. It's frustrating. You want to do anything to distract you from the feeling of impending doom but your only option is to sit around and roll your thumbs. Like watching a large crocodile slowly making its way over to you, mouth open displaying sharp teeth and you can't move away. Nowhere to go, nothing to do and you hate it.

The crew has been unusually busy and quiet lately which is out of the ordinary. You've spent enough time with them to know that they're quiet the vibrant bunch but it's starting to become clear that they're avoiding you. Perhaps it's for the better too. You can't seem to bring yourself to start up a conversation with anyone really either and just enjoy these last hours in silence.

It's been days since you last saw the sun but the joy of finally breathing fresh air is overshadowed by the heavy atmosphere. No one says anything as you dock by the bridge and the hatch is opened. Law hasn't made his usual snarky remarks today either. You feel numb, maybe from the fear of what will happen to you or maybe because it will be hard to say goodbye but you can't bring yourself to think about it too long or you might actually start crying.

You carry a small bag with various items some crew member have gifted you, they would come up and thrust a seemingly random item in your face and leave before you could really thank them but you guess it's their way of giving you a souvenir or a token of your friendship with them. under the ocean it's kind of hard to find a gift shop so they give you whatever they have lying around. So far you've gotten a rusty scalpel (probably more suited to be a butter knife rather than a weapon or medical tool given how blunt it is) , quite the few pens, a small spice jar, a pack of biscuits and a shirt that's way to big for you. Even though the gifts are a bit dumb you really appreciate the gesture and wish you had something to give them back. To thank them for everything but alas, you have nothing to offer them right now.

You shift  awkwardly on your feet on the dock with your bag slung over your shoulder and looking down at your feet. You can't bare looking them in the eyes. It'll hurt too much.

"Well, I'm gonna miss you all...."

The crew is silent and you can tell some of them are trying their best not to cry. Damn this is hard.

"I uh.....I-I hope that uhm...." It's so hard getting the words out

"I really hope we can meet again sometime.... in the future.." the lump in your throat is making it difficult to speak and you turn around and walk away before you start crying. You don't want to hurt them more than you already have and decide it's better to rip off the Bandaid quickly. You've never been good at making first impressions and evidently, you're not good at saying goodbye either.

It's been hours since you left the docks and you've been walking around aimlessly ever since. The sun is kissing the horizon gently making the sky a beautiful spectrum of reds, purples and oranges. You traded the shirt for 1000B which isn't too much but could maybe buy some bread to eat later so that you won't starve. You've gone around asking for ships heading towards east blue or any island names you remember from the show as well as asking around for any available work opportunities but no one has been interested and have only turned you away. This is already a lot harder than you had feared.