worn couches ✰

- worn couches

In the aftermath of war, famine and drought have ripped through the kingdom, to no one's surprise

In the aftermath of war, famine and drought have ripped through the kingdom, to no one's surprise. The Queen's next move is unclear. In the wake of a growing economic crisis, what is the kingdom's first priority? Many locals discuss the reconvening of the Estate General. This may be the push Bright Moon needs to have our first meeting in over a century. However, the Third Estate's people are rumoured to be starting a group of their own for fear of going unheard over the first two Estates.

Note: The Estate General is an assembly of the three estates - The First Estate - clergy, The second estate, nobility and the Third Estate which represents most people.*

Adora tore through the copy of today's newspaper - the Noble's Gazette. Time was wearing thin, and there was only so long until the people took matters into their own hands. Bright Moon had a great love for Queen Glimmer, seeing as she had led their kingdom through a war that had led to the death of many planets' civilizations, but their unrest towards her inexperience with leading was tangible. They resented that the Estate General hadn't been resurrected during the war. Adora knew Glimmer insisted on doing everything herself, but somewhere along the line, it had become a disservice to her people. It was also common knowledge that Bright Moon had one of the largest wealth gaps of Etheria.

Adora had read this newspaper five times now - once for every book-and-a-half she digested in the yellow light of the lanterns. She wasn't sure how long she had been sitting on the worn velvet armchair since the library's windows were shuttered closed. Adora would go check to see if the night was in full swing yet but her joints felt like they were being pulled apart. She grabbed another book, running her hands along the volume's binding. Adora needed to do this, so Glimmer would see sense. When she read the newspaper, she could see the large gap in between Bow's perspective and the public's - it seemed that Bow's considerable wealth had also skewed his knowledge.

Pulling herself back into concentration, she turned the pages of the book with one hand and jotted her thoughts absently on a thick piece of paper. Humming, soon she had found she'd read the two-hundred-page book. She turned to face the desk, again, only to find that her pile of books had already been read. They had been books gifted as a back-handed snipe by the people of Etheria, likely from before Glimmer's time, with inscriptions like maybe you'll learn something from this tucked into a yellowing children's book about the fundamental rules of the monarchy and government. Aside from this clearly-used book, none of them seemed to have been opened in years - maybe even before they were "gifted" to the castle.

Adora knew what she was preaching, now. She couldn't be uneducated about the beliefs she had pledged herself to. How would she ever know what was right and wrong if she didn't do research herself? She didn't want to be blind again. Besides, she needed to be useful. Perhaps the next day she would venture into town or page through the books that they had there - she suspected there would be many better-informed books outside of the clearly politically charged castle library.