Chapter 23

"And you are sure?"

Captain Vir nodded hands resting behind his back as he stared out the viewing window and towards the strange, alien planet—a planet that no one had ever seen before this moment, "Yes, ma'am" He said looking down at the instruments, and doing a short sweep over the screens of the bridge crew, which he could just see from his position in the captain's chair.

"And what do we know about the Gnar'lak?" Admiral Kelly asked, arms crossed over her chest, image flickering only slightly with the rotation of the warp core.

A separate holo-projection flickered, and the chairwoman of the galactic assembly shifted in place neatly folding her hands before her. It was difficult to read the expression on her face as it was completely inhuman. Adam had spent plenty of time with the Rundi, though he had never managed to totally suss-out their nonverbal communication.

"Unfortunately, we know very little. We contacted them some time ago, and mostly by an accident of luck. The Gnar'lak have very advanced communications systems – which is how we were able to converse to begin with-- though they have never left their planet, as far as we know, and they do not seem inclined to do so. Our conversations have been.... Difficult and limited as they are quite easily offended, and diplomacy efforts go slowly."

Captain Vir leaned back in his seat, "But you were able to trade with them?'

"Yes, their planet contains some fauna with very useful fibrous structures, and from the genetic material on those boxes, we were able to sequence the DNA used for your sample, Captain."

He tapped a finger on his chin thoughtfully, "And how sure are we about the validity of this test?

"Close to 100% accuracy, Captain, there is no doubt that that liquid came from the Gnar'lak."

"What is GA policy on interplanetary diplomacy?" He wondered, standing up to lean against the railing looking down on his crew.

"Situational. The Gnar'lak seem of no great threat to us, as they have yet to leave their planet. Their plants are useful, though we can get those fiber structures in other places at a higher price."

Captain Vir tapped his fingers against the cold metal, "And how might they feel about us landing on their planet?"

The chairwoman shifted, "I cannot imagine that they would be too pleased, Captain, so I would proceed with caution."

This was enough to make Admiral Kelly bristle slightly, "Need I remind you, Chairwoman, that these creatures may have something to do with our missing people?"

The Rundi did not move, but stared straight into camera, "I never said we would ignore this line of inquiry, admiral, simply that we would have to move with caution I-"

Below him, on the command deck, Captain Vir watched as one of the communications specialists suddenly leaned forward in her seat using both hands to press her headset against her ears.

Captain Vir took a step forward ignoring the admiral and the chairwoman for a moment as he continued to watch the communications officer.

The young woman sat poised for a long moment before turning to look at him, interrupting the Admiral in mid-sentence in her excitement and haste.

"Captain, there is something you need to hear."

Admiral Kelly and the chairwoman stopped as captain vir held up a hand, "Patch it to my station.

The woman nodded her head vigorously, "Yes sir."

She turned back to her screen as he returned to his seat, "Let me call you back in a minute." He said disconnecting his two superiors before they could protest, turning his attention to the holo-projection before him.