Chapter II: Demons

Chapter II: Demons

Mirela turned on the wind and flew up, up, up past her tower, up into the night. She loved the feeling of power, the feeling of grace. The night sky was her star-covered gown, and she danced on a moonbeam. Mirela ruled the night.

Then suddenly Daciana and Ilinca were with her. Ilinca arrived first, and Mirela wrapped the Harpy in her embrace. She looked at Ilinca, beautiful Ilinca. Mirela ran her fingers through Ilinca's long, dark hair, and kissed her passionately.

Then as suddenly as the kiss had begun it ended. Mirela laughed with delight as she pushed herself away from Ilinca, twirling gracefully into the arms of Daciana.

Daciana caught Mirela, and held her lightly. Mirela ran her hands up and down Daciana's figure, exploring her every curve. Daciana licked Mirela's lips, drew in her warm breath.

As Daciana held Mirela's attention, Ilinca came at her from behind. Ilinca wrapped her arms around Mirela, holding her tight beneath her breasts, then sank her teeth deep into Mirela's neck.

Mirela let out a sharp gasp, and opened her eyes wide. Suddenly Daciana bit her from the front, also sinking her teeth deep into Mirela's tender white throat.

Mirela struggled in the awkward position, wedged between the two Furies, but with her greater vampire strength she quickly gained the upper hand and shoved them both away from her.

"No, no, no!" cried out Mirela peevishly. "You are always too rough. And besides, this is too soon! We have all night."

"Apologies, Mistress," Daciana said submissively.

Ilinca flew around to her sister's side so that they both faced Mirela. "What then shall we do first, Mistress?" she asked eagerly.

"Look at the moon!" said Mirela, as if Ilinca should find the answer to her question there. "Look at the stars. Breathe the night air, and you will know the answer to your question. Tonight, we fly!"

Daciana watched as Mirela flew into the night, Ilinca trailing after her. Daciana would overtake them easily, when she was ready...

There had been a time when they had need of Mirela; an unbearable, desperate need. The loss of Anna, sweet baby Anna, had driven them both over the brink into insanity. It was only Mirela, by her simple presence, who brought them back.

And now they were back; back from the edge, back from their pain and misery. Daciana's heart still ached in a place that once was filled by her love for Anna, but the madness no longer consumed her.

Mirela had stood in that place in Daciana's heart, had strengthened it and kept it from collapsing. She had done it effortlessly, as the full moon will replace the sun – and with as little thought or concern.

Daciana knew; she and Ilinca were nothing more than Mirela's servants. Mirela would never see them as anything more. Mirela was not Anna. She was not their sister. Their need for Mirela had ended, but Mirela's need for them was too much. Tonight it would end.

Daciana beat her massive wings one, two, three times. She would quickly catch up to Mirela...

Mirela laughed as Daciana joined her, a musical laugh like the silvery tinkling of bells.

"So you have finally caught up with me," Mirela taunted her. "Perhaps you are not as fast as you would claim!"

"I make no such claim, Mistress," Daciana replied. Mirela simply laughed again.

The moon was high and nearly full, bathing the rugged countryside in a soft glow. The air was clear, so that those with a heightened sense of sight could see for fifty miles or more. The Carpathian Mountains rose in the distance, their rough, craggy steps visible as shadows against the black backdrop of the sky. Valleys and gorges ran far beneath the three like rivers of black velvet.