009┆chapter nine

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

nine. bribe

▬▬ AFTER BREAKFAST, which was pretty much silent after the conversation they had, they went to the beach ― it was the one place Paul was certain she loved. So they walked down the beach. She wanted to asked more about his dad and why he hadn't trusted her with it in the first place. Her dad was a cop after all.

Cassie shoved her hands into the pocket of the hoodie she wore and her mind went straight to the owner of it. She knew that if Jacob knew that she had cut school to spend the day with Paul he would be mad. But the thought confused her, she wanted to know why he got so mad when she'd mention the Lahote boy. Was it jealousy? Or was it just him being overprotective of the girl he's know since he was born? She wanted to know how he felt so she could sort out her feelings, then again, Jacob had always had a crush on Bella.

"You have your thinking face on." Paul stated as he looked down at the girl beside him, she hadn't said much since breakfast. "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Oh." She shook her head, trying to shake the thoughts away. "Nothing. Just that Jake would be mad if he knew about me skipping school."

"Because you skipped or because you're with me?"

"Both." She shrugged. "He doesn't like you."

"Why?" Paul asked and she looked up at him. "Why does he hate me?"

"Jake has been my best friend since forever and after losing you, both times, he was there for me. He said that I changed after you left, that I wasn't myself anymore." She told him, her hands clutched together in the pocket of the hoodie she wore. "He thinks you're bad for me."

"And what to you think?"

"I think . . ." She started then paused to think about how to word it. "I think that you thought were protecting me, but you did it the wrong way."

"Maybe." He nodded, shoving his hands into the pockets of his cutoffs.

"Okay, I have to ask." Cassie huffed, reaching up to push her hair out of her face before pulling her beanie down over her ears. "What's with the shorts? It's December. In Forks. I'm in three layers and I'm freezing!" He let out a small laugh.