Chapter 12

Willetstar leaped onto the Damp Rock, howling for the clan to gather. The climbing sun glistened his grey fur. "Two apprentices, Sunpaw and Swiftpaw, have passed their Warrior assessment today." Willetstar mewed. "Do you two promise to uphold the warrior code and defend your clan, even at the cost of your lives?"

"I do." The two sisters said.

"Then, by the powers of StarClan, I grant you two your warrior names. Sunpaw, from this day forward, you shall be known as Sunbreeze, for your speed and agility. Swiftpaw, you shall be known as Swiftfern, for your strength and smarts."

"Sunbreeze! Swiftfern!" The clan cheered. Graygaze and Ashfrost howled their names with pride, excited for their kits. Sunbreeze and Swiftfern approached their former mentors, Cloudstep and Reednose, before heading toward the reed tunnel.

"They grow up so fast. It feels like just yesterday they were still kits in the nursery." Graygaze mewed to Ashfrost.

"I know. Soon enough they'll be having kits of their own, and we'll be older than the elders." Ashfrost added, planting a lick on his mate's cheek.

Willetstar's gaze flickered towards Birchhowl, who was sitting with Foxclaw. They seemed to be having a somber conversation. Willetstar leaped off the Damp Rock and approached the two.
"Is everything alright?" The grey leader mewed. 

The two looked up, and Foxclaw sighed. "We're just a little disappointed how we missed our own kit's warrior ceremony," Foxclaw responded.

"I know, but he's happy in ValleyClan. He has a mate and kits." Willetstar reassured. Birchhowl's ears perked up at the mention of ValleyClan.

"But ValleyClan's at war! What if he gets hurt, or worse?" Birchhowl whimpered, the fur along his spine rising.

"Birchhowl, ValleyClan has a medicine cat too, you know. If Smudgestorm gets hurt, their medicine cat will help him." The gray leader put a comforting tail-tip on his shoulder.

"Maybe some hunting will take our minds off of it?" Foxclaw suggested. "Willetstar, could we join the next hunting patrol?"

"Of course. Since our new warriors are out, there might not be another one until a while. Just alert Silverclaw." Willetstar responded before the two trotted towards the deputy.

The clan was calm until around sundown. A hunting patrol was sent out a little while ago. Foxclaw and Birchhowl were, as requested, on that patrol. Blurkit and Volekit were playing Alligator Hunt with Willetstar in the clearing. The two kits ran around searching for him, while Willetstar stalked around in the ferns.

The reed tunnel quivered, and the hunting patrol returned. They dropped a decent amount of frogs and shrews into the fresh-kill pile, before a familiar golden pelt ducked through, flanked by Foxclaw and Birchhowl. The golden pelt was covered in fresh scratches.

"Smudgestorm?" Willetstar trotted out of the ferns.

"Found you!" Blurkit tapped Willetstar with his muzzle.

"Good job! Now, I have important leader stuff to do." Willetstar informed the two kits. "It's almost your bedtime. You should head back to Sweetfang." The kits nodded and scurried back into the nursery. Smudgestorm hesitantly walked forward, his ears folded.

"Smudgestorm, what in StarClan's name are you doing here? And what happened?" Willetstar mewed. He felt the whole clan's gazes burn into their pelts.

"I..." Smudgestorm hesitated. "I was being attacked by an IcyClan warrior when Foxclaw and Birchhowl found me. They helped me lose him. I was separated from the patrol, and IcyClan is still nearby."

"So you're asking for refuge in SwampClan?" Willetstar hissed, lashing his tail.

"Please, Willetstar. It will only be for a little while. At least until my wounds heal. I can't risk traveling like this," Smudgestorm asked. Foxclaw and Birchhowl held pleading gazes with their leader.

Willetstar let out a deep breath and responded. "Fine, but he is to stay in camp. I don't want him attracting any hostile cats toward us."

"We're getting a new clanmate?" Volekit peeked her head out of the nursery.

"Sweetfang! You have kits now! Congratulations." Smudgestorm greeted his old clanmate.

"Smudgestorm! It's great to have you back. This is Volekit, and Blurkit is over there." Sweetfang greeted.

"They're beautiful." The golden warrior mewed.

"They get it from their mother." Cloudstep trotted over, purring.

"Mama, Papa, can we play with Smudgestorm?" Volekit asked.

"Ah, a few more games wouldn't hurt." Sweetfang mewed. Cloudstep nodded in agreement.

"Slow down, kits," Sparkflower mewed as he trotted forward. "I still have to treat Smudgestorm's wounds, so he'll have to sit this round out." The medicine cat mewed.

"Alright, let's play Alligator Hunt!" Blurkit squeaked.

"Dear StarClan, I haven't played that game in seasons!" Smudgestorm said. "Think you can remind me how to play?"

"Okay!" Volekit replied. "So depending on how many cats are playing, at least one cat is the alligator and everyone else are cats. The alligator has to hide and try to grab the cats, but the alligator has to avoid getting found. If a cat finds and touches the alligator, the cats win. If the alligator catches all the cats, the alligator wins."

"Oh, I remember now!" Smudgestorm purred.

"I'll be an alligator!" Blurkit called, diving into the ferns on the sides of camp.
"I guess I'll play too." Willetstar mewed.

"I'll be a father soon, so I might as well join." Reednose trotted forward, along with Riversplash. Foxclaw and Birchhowl glanced at each other, before stepping forward.

"Could we play too?" Ambernose ducked out of the elder's den, along with Copperclaw.

"Of course! The more the merrier." Willetstar mewed.

"Noting how many cats we have, we'll need two more alligators," Willetstar added.

"I could be an alligator." Ambernose croaked. "In my younger days, I was an incredible alligator."

"I might as well be an alligator before I get too plump." Riversplash purred. Blurkit, Riversplash, and Ambernose dove into the ferns, and shuffled around. The cats cautiously nosed around the shrubs and reeds, sniffing for the alligators. Suddenly, Willetstar felt a gentle nip on his hind leg.
"Aw, the alligators got me." Willetstar sat to the side next to Smudgestorm and watched the game unfold.

It was almost past dusk by the time there were only two cats left. Reednose searched through the plants for Blurkit, but Blurkit got to him first. Blurkit nipped Reednose's leg, and the game was done. The alligators have won.

"Volekit! Blurkit! It's time for bed!" Sweetfang called from the nursery. The two kits sighed, then scrambled back to their mother.

"Birchhowl, Foxclaw, you can help Smudgestorm make a nest in the warrior's den. I'm sure he'll be able to sleep in there tomorrow." Willetstar mewed. The sky was starting to darken more when Willetstar trotted into his own den, curling up into his nest.