Chapter 2 ~ The City

The city had wide avenues and small places to eat and relax as pedestrians went about their daily activities. Thousands of homes once occupied the sky towers in the center, but now they take up less space than an old shopping mall. There were also parks and wild spaces, a chance to walk among nature or ride a horse or bicycle along trails. But my favorite thing about the city was the river running through it, crossing across the bridges, pausing just to gaze at the view. When my Grandfather talks about cars, he describes the boxes that moved around the cities on wheels, as if they suffocated the Earth and polluted the atmosphere. Being born after the struggle of our species close to destroying our planet at the end of the insanity era has been a blessing for me. There was like a war going on in the background, but nobody noticed because they were too absorbed with other battles and thoughts. If I had been alive back then, I wonder if I would have followed the herd or if I would have been one of those who helped shape the world we live in now. What do I know? Until now, I've only heard about the city and not actually seen it.

My attention is drawn to a tall woman standing to my right, dressed like a farmer but looking like a high-class woman. As I observed my mother taking a deep breath, she suddenly let out a soft sigh.

A concern frown appears on my face as I ask, "Mom, is everything okay?".

"Yes, darling, everything will be fine." she replies.

Mother's appearance in the city seems completely different than in the country. Despite still wearing her regular farming outfit, she seems like an entirely different woman. Despite my repeated requests, she never told me about her past. Since I was a child, I have always been on the farm with her, and my father never visited us.

It is getting darker outside, but we haven't stopped traveling. I wonder where we are headed. Nevertheless, I was distracted by the beautiful sights that were all around me.

At this point, it was getting dark and the city lights were glistering through the path to what appeared to be a villa. A beautiful path leads us to the entrance. It would be impossible for us to afford such a place. Who are we and what do we do? Mother was always very frugal with the money. Where did all this money come from?  

As we approach, the door opens. Our hostess, slightly older than mother, greets us at the door.

As we approach the door, the lady bows her head. "What is going on?" I asked looking at Mother. She did not seem startled at this honorable greeting and seemed unsurprised.

Our bags and suits cases are politely requested by the lady at the door. Mother handed over to her quickly. I hesitated for a few minutes and then handed my suit case to the lady. 

The lady softly says, "Follow me."

My head is still buzzing with questions: what's going on? However, the surrounding scenery is distracting me from my current uncertainty.

"This is a comfortable place to rest tonight".

The direction of mother's voice led my attention to the room as she stood in front of it. Pointing at the room, she says. For the night, you've got the room to yourself. You should take a shower. You can find clothes in the closet. The room was still dark and I was still confused when I entered. I reached over to turn on the lights. My eyes widen when I see what lies beneath the darkness.