Chapter 41

I was in the closet getting dressed when I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I call through the door, even though I didn't even need to ask.

"It's me Gia. Are you almost done?" I hear Cristiano say.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a few seconds." I call out. I quickly scrambled to find an outfit, as I hadn't even started to get dressed.

I found a large white sweater, black pants, and a brown belt. I put them all on, taking one quick peak in the mirror before leaving the closet. I step out, and nearly bump into Cristiano. He takes my arm gently.

"There's something important going on today. I should've told you last night, but I couldn't find the time." He says, almost anxiously. He wasn't nervous, even if he was, he would never show it. But it was obvious that whatever he had forgotten to tell me was causing him some stress.

"What's going on?" I ask, my voice sounding shaky. After yesterday, I didn't want to be involved with any more important events. I just wanted to be able to relax.

"Come downstairs." He says, then takes my hand. He quickly rushes us downstairs before I can even respond.

A part of me wonders, is this some ploy to lure me to my death? Was Cristiano going to get revenge for what I did yesterday? I held my breath as we went down the staircase.

And when I saw what, or technically who, was at the bottom, my heart almost stopped.

Livianna.

She looked pale, paler than usual. She had massive bags under her eyes, and her hair was a wavy mess. I almost fell to the floor when I saw who was standing next to her.

Diavolo.

My head was spinning. The sight of him made me want to vomit. Why were they back here? My promise to Livianna lingered in my head. I felt awful, even though I made a promise, I was so tired of risking my life for other people. I could have died afterwards what I did yesterday, I didn't feel like doing that again.

But her eyes were pleading with me. Please help me. Before I knew it, I yanked my arm out of Cristiano's grip and ran to hug her. I quickly wrapped my arms around her, and she did the same with me. We said nothing, but we knew what we were both thinking. I let go of Livianna, and turned around to look at Cristiano.

"Why didn't you tell me she was back." I ask him in an upset turn.

"I would have told you, but I was...busy." He says, his jaw clenching a little. He didn't like being questioned. Especially since he was busy cleaning up the mess I had made. 

"Can Livianna and I speak alone for a few minutes? I haven't seen her in weeks." I say, my eyes pleading with his. He nods.

"Five minutes." He says, then walks to his office. I take Livianna's arm and start to walk us up the stairs. We're suddenly yanked downwards, and I almost fall. I turn around, and see Diavolo, his hand gripping Livianna's arm so tight I could see it turning blue.

"Aren't you going to give your fiancé a kiss goodbye?" He asks Livianna. She squeezed my hand a little, then leaned over and kissed him on the lips. I wanted to throw up, and I could tell by her face that she was nauseated too.

We started to walk up the stairs again, and I turned my head and glanced behind me. Diavolo was staring at me. Anger and fear filled my body. I wanted to take of my shoe and throw it at him. But I just looked forward, and kept walking up the stairs.

When we finally made it to the bedroom, I closed the door behind me. Livianna immediately fell to the floor and started crying. I immediately went over to comfort her. I rested my hands on her shoulders, and slowly tried to get her to stand up.