Harry Potter x reader

a/n: this is my first book so any feedback would be appreciated, be nice though please!

summary: Harry slips y/n some veritaserum to find out how she really feel about him

warnings: fluffffffff!!

Harry pov:

"Are you being serious?! That's a terrible idea, it would never work!" I began pacing frantically in front of the twins, thinking over how insane their proposal was.

"Do you want to know or not?" Fred said as George shoved a cupcake into my hand.

"It's not that complicated, just make sure she eats this and then ask her, and she'll tell you anything you want to know."

I sighed before begrudgingly thanking them and exiting the gryffindor common room, heading to the great Hall where I knew y/n would be eating dinner.

Y/n pov:

I glanced up eagerly at the gryffindor table, scanning each seat for a sign of my best friend, but I couldn't see him anywhere. Disappointed, I turned back to my fellow ravenclaws and half-heartedly joined in their conversation.

I felt as though Harry was becoming more and more distant recently and it was heavily paining my heart. I missed having my best friend around all the time, but most of all, I feared he may be catching on to my growing feelings for him and it filled me with dread at the possibility of losing him.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a light tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see none other than my closest friend,
"Harry where've you been? I was starting to think you ditched me again." I softly scolded him, but also took my time to glance over his disheveled hair and crooked glasses, which he still managed to make look adorable.

"Sorry y/n I was busy adding the finishing touches to this," he whipped a slightly squashed cupcake out of his pocket and placed it on my plate, "I know it isn't your birthday for another week but I wanted to surprise you, I know it isn't much."

I hungrily eyed the cupcake, clumsily iced and half-drowned in sprinkles but still looking mouth-watering to me. I bit into it before remembering my manners,
"Thank you Harry." I murmured inaudibly through my mouthful, causing him to chuckle.

We sat in silence for a few moments as Harry allowed me to finish devouring the cupcake.
"How was it?" he asked.

"Oh it was heavenly" I smiled.

He waited another couple of seconds before saying,
"Can I ask you something y/n?"

I nodded slightly, wondering what he would ask me as it sounded serious.

"What do you really think of me?"

I thought for a moment, feeling the words tumbling out of my mouth before I could stop them,
"I think you're magnificent Harry, you always put everyone else's feelings first and you never think of yourself. You're so patient with me, especially when I can't grasp a spell, and you're always so brave, it's like you aren't afraid of anything. You're calm, even when put under pressure and especially when you fought you-know-who so many times, I wish I could be as fearless as you are. Not to mention how you always look so effortlessly good every single day, I can't help but fall in love with you."

Harry stared at me for what felt like hours, a look of comical shock plastered on his face as I felt my cheeks turning redder by the second. After what must have been only a few moments, I stood up shakily and bid him goodnight, not even earning any acknowledgement from him.

I made my way out of the great hall, mentally kicking myself as I felt waves of embarrassment washing over me. How could I be so stupid? I had just poured my entire heart out to Harry, no wonder he was left speechless, I probably terrified him.

Completely lost in my own thoughts, I had barely felt my legs carrying me up to the gryffindor common room and I looked up in surprise, realising I had come here out of instinct, so used to walking here with Harry.

I cursed my stupidity once again and turned around to make my way to my own common room, only to slam straight into someone's broad chest.

I glanced up and felt my heart sink once again, it was Harry.

"Sorry, I'll just be going." I tried to push past him.

"Wait - Y/n!" he grabbed my arm and spun me around.

I waited expectantly, fully prepared for him to end our friendship right there and then. But, he just stared at me for a few moments, eyes scanning over every inch of my face, like he was seeing me for the first time.

I opened my mouth to ask him what he was looking at but as I did, I felt his lips pressing to mine and an arm sliding around me to pull me closer to him.

I relaxed into him, resting one hand on his cheek and smiling into the kiss, which he returned happily.

We stayed like that for a while, until he softly grabbed my hand and pulled away from me, still smiling.

"Y/n - I'm so sorry for not saying anything earlier, I was just surprised that you could feel those things about me as well. The twins gave me that cupcake and put some veritaserum in it so you would tell me the truth about how you felt, I'm so, so sorry but I wanted to be certain you felt the same way as I do. Please forgive me Y/n?" he gazed desperately into my eyes, begging me to see his reasoning and I paused for a moment before bursting out laughing.

Harry's face quickly turned confused and he knitted his eyebrows together, wondering what I thought was so funny.

I took a few seconds to recollect myself before saying, "Oh Harry, how are you so stupid to not realise I've been in love with you since second year?"

He too started laughing at my words as he pulled me closer to lean in for another kiss, not caring that the twins had just come out of the gryffindor common room and were smirking proudly at their good work.

a/n: thank you so much for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts!