Chapter 3: Masquerade

Sunday, the dance had arrived and it was beautiful. Ruby was having trouble walking in her heels. "Not a high heel person, are we?" asked Venom. "Why do you have to comment on everything?" asked Ruby. "You're thoughts are mine," said Venom, "We share the same body....... That smell, cupcakes, chocolate, cookies, so many sweets!!" Venom then made Ruby walk to the refreshments, and she then ate a bit. "Yummy," said Venom. Ruby then joined her team, and they saw Blake dancing with Sun. "Mission accomplished," said Yang. "What now?" asked Ruby. "Have fun," said Weiss. "Does this mean I can change out of these stupid things and into my hood?!" cried Ruby, but no one answered. "Stupid lady stilts." "Are you enjoying yourself Ms. Rose?" asked Ozpin as he walked up to Ruby. "You know, dancing and fighting aren't all that different. Two people interlocked with each other, and they corporate with each other. But one wrong step could lead to a broken foot." "Or a swollen ankle," said Ruby. "Be that as it may," continued Ozpin, "you can't spend your whole life on the battlefield. Even if you want to, you must take breaks for those you care about." Ozpin then left with Ruby thinking to herself.

Ruby soon took a breather outside, and looked at the sky. "Ruby," said Venom, "The roof." Ruby then turned, and saw a figure running on the roof tops. She then called her locker, and weapon, and walked into the communications tower. She looked on a level, and said, "Hello? Anyone home?" Just then, the figure stood up, and Venom said, "Cinder Fall. One of the students from Haven." "How do you know that?" asked Ruby. "I can smell her, and tell by her eyes." "Huh," said Ruby, "How about that? Uh, this isn't a masquerade party, so why don't you just tak..." Cinder then shot a ball of fire at Ruby, but Ruby dodged and then shot a few rounds at Cinder. Cinder dodged, and then shot glass at Ruby, but Venom blocked it with a shield, and took over. "Now," he said, "Let's see how you taste." Venom then shot a tendril at Cinder, and she dodged, and made glass swords, which became a bow, and shot three flaming arrows. Venom jumped up, and used Crescent Rose, and shot a round, right on Cinder's back. Venom then grabbed her, and slammed her on the ground, knocking out her ear-piece. "Cinder, someone's coming!" said Emerald on the com. Venom heard this, and said, "Time to go." Cinder then launched fire, and Venom screamed in pain. "VENOM!!" cried Ruby. Cinder then got away, and Venom jumped out the window, and into the water. He then climbed back up, and headed off to the dorm. Ruby then texted the team, and Ozpin, what happened.

The next morning....

The next morning, Ruby was asked to see Professor Ozpin in his office. When they arrived, Professor Goodwitch and General Ironwood were waiting for them as well. "Hey," said Ruby, "sorry we're late. Someone pushed all the buttons on the way up here. It wasn't me." Venom then came out, and said, "That was me. Sorry, I just like how shiny they are when they light up." Ironwood then walked up to the two and said, "I just want you two to know that what you did last night is what being a huntsman and huntress is all about. You both saw a threat, you took action, and you did the best you could as a team." "Thank you General," said Ruby. "Hm," said Venom, "Maybe Irondick isn't so egotistical after all." "Venom!" said Ruby, smacking him.  "So," said Professor Goodwitch, "did she look familiar? Did she say anything?" "No," said Ruby, "she had a mask on her face. She also fought with glass, but I don't think that was her semblance, and she didn't say anything to us. She also shot a fire ball at us." "Save for the glass," said Goodwitch, "that sounds like the woman Ruby and I fought the night we met." "Embedding Glass into clothing is an age old technique," said Ironwood, "It could have been anyone." "Cinder Fall," said Venom, "One of her pawns." "What?" "I saw her during my time as Summer's guardian a few times." "If she does work with Salem, then we must act fast," said Ironwood. "Hold it Irondick," said Venom, "If she knows that we know who she is, she might launch a massive scale attack, and Salem will not be happy about that. Not to mention, it could expose the Fall Maiden in the Vault." "He raises a point," said Glynda. "Thank you for your time Miss Rose," said Ozpin, "You may go back to your team." Ruby then left as Venom retracted back into her.

"So, how did it go?" asked Yang. "Well, other than Venom insulting the General right in his face, it was fine." "Why did Venom do that??!?" "Weiss only proves my point as Atlas having nothing but egos the size of your heart Ruby," said Venom. "Venom, you already embarrassed me enough up in Ozpin's office," said Ruby. "Oh, cheer up sis," said Yang, "Oh, I know what will help!" "What?" asked Ruby. "I don't know. I thought we could open it together," said Yang. "OH SOMETHING FROM HOME!" squealed Ruby happily as she ran over and hooked her legs around Yang as Ruby tried to get the package. Yang shook the can, and what looked like a grey towel popped out. It then started to quiver until it took the shape of a small corgi dog. The team looked at the corgi until it barked happily at them. They all screamed, even Venom, and Ruby cried excitedly, "ZWEI!!" "He sent a dog?" asked Blake. "In the mail?" asked Weiss. "Oh relax, he does stuff like this all the time," said Yang as Ruby held Zwei and he licked her face. "Who, your dad or the dog?" asked Blake as she watched fearfully from Ruby's bunk. "What is this thing?" asked Venom, "It looks delicious." "NO, DON'T EAT ZWEI!!!!" yelled Ruby. "So are you telling me," said Weiss, "that this mangy... drooling... mutt is going to wive with us forevew!? Oh yes he is!" "Please keep it away from my things," said Blake. Then Glynda Goodwitch spoke on the intercom and said, "All students please report to the main hall to select your missions please. No excuses." "What about the dog?" asked Weiss. Yang then pulled out a note and said, "Hey there's a letter. Here let's see it says. 'Dear girls, I've got to leave the island for a few days so I'm sending Zwei to you to take care of and all of the food that you should need for him. Love you both, Taiyang.'" Yang then turned the canister upside down, and at least 15 dozen cans of dog food fell out, burying the corgi until he popped his head out the top. "What's he supposed to do with that?" asked Venom. A can opener then fell on Zwei's head. Everyone left the room while Ruby stayed and looked at Zwei like she had an idea. "Bad Idea Rubes," said Venom.

Team RWBY walked up to the screen and looked at the various missions that they could select. "Oh, here's one!" said Ruby, "'Search and Destroy'. It's also in the south east quadrant." Ruby brought up her scroll to the screen to sign her team up, but they were denied. "'Third year students and higher only'?" read Yang, "Well that's stupid." "Hello Team RWBY," said Ozpin as he walked up to them, "I just wanted to ask how you all knew of a secret base in the south east quadrant, and how you all managed to be at the docks at a convenient time and know where the White Fang was." The team looked at Ozpin in surprise, and he then said, "How about waiting to break the rules, we just bend them." Ozpin then typed in his scroll and the mission accepted the team. "We won't let you down Professor," said Ruby. "I will also have a professional Huntsman accompany," said Ozpin. "Hey," said a student, "Team CFVY(Coffee) is back." Ruby walked up to Velvet, the rabbit Faunus who used to be picked on by Cardin and his team, and asked, "Velvet, what happened? Your mission was meant to end a week ago." "There were just so many of them," said Velvet, "Don't worry, I had Yatsuhashi to protect me." Velvet then took a picture of Ruby, and smiled at her. "You guys are going on world saving missions without us!?!" cried Nora as Team JNPR came up behind the two teams, "I'm jealous,... and angry,... and a little hungry. That last one's not your fault Ren." Ren just sighed as Jaune explained that his team was going to shadow the sheriff in a nearby town. "Good luck to you all," said Pyrrha. "Thanks guys," said Yang. "You guys ready?" asked Ruby, "I can't believe that we actually get to travel with a Professional Huntsman!" The Huntsman they saw that was accompanying them was the one they least expected to go with them: Professor Oobleck. "Hello children," said the Professor, "Who's ready to fight for their lives?"