41.

Faolin waited.

She began counting her breaths as soon as Syrene stepped through the gate with her prince. Waited for the oath to cleave through her soul and shred it to ribbons.

Everyone was holding breath in the area—not a single person breathing. Renavy was staring at Faolin, waiting for her to crumble, for Faolin's life was a confirmation of Syrene's.

So were Vendrik Evenflame and Ferouzeh. If Syrene was alive, so was Azryle.

Moments passed, Maycusen spoke when nothing happened. "Are we supposed to wait for a clear coast sign—"

Something was tossed from the portal.

Everyone soon armed themself. But it was only a pebble.

Faolin stepped towards it, so did Vendrik.

She crouched and hefted it up. She expected a wave of exterminating power—anything—but nothing happened. A simple pebble.

"I think this is your clear coast sign," muttered the firebreather, standing over her.

Faolin nodded and lifted. "Let's go."

Everyone around her moved.

An army of faeries had gathered about the area, watching, or maybe in a silent goodbye.

Vur and Levsenn appeared at Faolin's side. She didn't realize she was looking for Ferouzeh in the crowd until she found her approaching the portal with the firebreather. Hazel eyes on Faolin.

Their gazes locked. The healer nodded her good luck. Faolin nodded back.

"If I don't emerge from there, do have the tendency to throw my body in the ocean." Levsenn shuddered beside Faolin. "They would probably chew on it since I was exiled from Blueneath for coming to terms with cursed soilkin ..." She shrugged.

An attempt at joke—but beneath all the bravado, Faolin was surprised to find that the siren might be, for once, frightened.

Vur's hand reached out to her lower back in comfort.

Faolin managed a grin at her ... friend. The word felt strange generally, but more so when used for Levsenn. Aquakin were meant to be their enemies by nature, after all.

"Are you scared, Levsenn?" she teased.

Levsenn frowned, but neither denied nor retorted. Fear must have truly paved its way through her.

Faolin touched her shoulder and nodded at her—a warrior offering comfort to another. Levsenn seemed to sag. She nodded back.

"We better get out alive, Wisflave." Cunningness rallied in her sapphire eyes like a storm. "I didn't let my ass suffer for the whole year in your company so we could die for nothing."

"At least my company didn't make you want to die," Faolin drawled. "Not sure I can say the same about yours."

The siren chuckled as they began advancing towards the portal. The winds were sharper every step closer to it.

Faolin's pulse quickened as they closed in. She dared catch Vur's gaze. If they died—if something happened, she did not want to part with him with words hanging like knives between them. She did not wish for silence to be his last words to her. She opened her mouth, but he was already nodding.

I understand.

She smiled slightly—it was all she could do as the portal pulled at them, threatening to swallow them.

She tore her gaze from his, only to find Ferouzeh stepping into the dark void—the firebreather's arm around her. Faolin's heart paused dead when she disappeared into it. Her throat tightened.