༄ 01. | Nestled within Eternity

• | CHAPTER ONE | •

“Wishes I can't remember.”

A traveller, they called them. Rumours spread like wildfire, even with a closed nation where rain falls as often as a child's dreams are crumbled like a piece of papyrus.

The rain wouldn't stop the spreading.

No one knew if their defeats of ancient gods were true, but one could only hope they'd be here soon.

Independence, something only those who were affected by the decree would know the longing for.

Soon the 100th vision will have met with her statue, her ruling.

The papers glorified this accomplishment, the cheers of the citizens satisfied with her eternity. Though they failed to realize this eternity wasn't theirs. They failed to realize to see those who would suffer during their eternity.

Eternity lasts forever, doesn't it?
Forever is too much to ask of a mortal.

But everything, everyone, must follow forever. The thunder will strike, the rain will fall, the people will follow, for an eternity. Her eternity.

And for eternity may the empty vision holder lay on the redwood deck. It laid empty like its former wielder. And those whose holders were taken, are within the statue along with their owner's ambitions and memories.

Lost to time, lost forever.
You could only hope that wasn't true.

Remove all threats to eternity.
The echoing of her words pierced through mind and memory. It stayed there and wouldn't leave. Even though the threat you once were had been disposed of.

The shaky trembling of hands would happen occasionally, striving for knowledge yet stabbing anxiety keeping you in place. Would you be here forever? Within the walls of this city?

Where were you from?
The questions were building up like the dust on the vision holder. How long until the pile was too high. How long until it would collapse?
You didn't know the answer to these questions. All you knew was that you were here. And here you would stay, forever.

Those were her wishes after all, were they not?

Though yet the desire to disobey lingered in the distance. A match can easily be set on fire, even after its flame has died.

But flame had no feelings, flame has no tearing confusion. It burns in its path without mercy like the thunder on the islands. And keeps going until it eventually dies out.

Perhaps your flame did die out, and it was time to commit to her eternity.

Who even was her?

Eternity.
Was there no other answer? Was there no other way? Things come to an end, flames burn out. That's not eternity, but perhaps the cycle is that which lasts forever.

You hadn't been here forever, that was a thing you were sure of. The people in armour spoke of you of the number: 72. A traveller who helped them one step closer towards her goals.

A traveller, there it was again.
The other word that has been thrown around often. The word was like a glimpse of hope that was all you could cling to, there was nothing else. You knew nothing else.

The thoughts of searching for the answers had crossed your mind before, but the motivation was chained to the ground within the depths of your soul.

You were like a dusk particle in the chasms of the night, no one could see you, and you could see no one. But you were there, soon to hit the ground and lay where you fell until swept away.

________

Hesitation remained eternal, but now you had set foot outside. How long has it been? The Sakura blossoms being crushed beneath your sandals as you stared at the night sky. For once it wasn't raining, there was no thunder striking wherever its path may lead. Only a pleasant breeze.

The city had felt like a ghost town at night, or perhaps that was just you. You weren't certain of anything anymore, though the will to question was kept restrained.

"Good evening."

A small boy said those words as they came running up to you, barefoot. The boy was carrying a large rucksack filled with papers, it was a surprise he had not fallen by now. He looked tired and bruised, yet a small smile crept onto his face. The boy took out a newspaper and handed it to you without another word.

You only gave a small nod of gratitude, sliding the newspaper under your door. There was no doubt the contents of it had remained the same, but perhaps you would read it later.

Once the boy left you had made your way over to a Teahouse that still accepted customers at this time of night, of course, there were none at this moment, but perhaps that was a good thing.

Gently pushing the door open you had made yourself into the Teahouse with a comforting atmosphere. A dog was sat at the counter, happily greeting you. That dog was always there, even during your previous visits, you wondered if it ever got tired.

The stool you sat on was comfortable, though while leaning backwards one could tell the wood was ageing. An employee had come and asked what you wanted, you only ordered a simple herbal tea, in hopes of having it help you sleep.

While you waited for your tea you gently stroked the fur of the Shiba perched on the counter. They yawned, seemingly comfortable. But once the clock hit a certain hour, and your tea was placed down next to you, they jumped off, walking into another room.

I guess even dogs need rest.

Though it was a surprise to finally see the creature in motion. You gently held the cup of warm herbal tea in your hands, staring down at how it rippled with only slight movements.

For a split second everything was so peaceful, if only this could last forever.

________

A braided blonde stepped onto the floorboards of the docks of the harbour. Aether, some would call them. Others referred to them as travellers or Honorary Knight. Whatever name one could use didn't change the fact that they were now present, accompanied by a small floating person.

The traveller was greeted by another blonde. Who offered to help them get through registration.

Though Aether could only remain silent, he longed to find his sister but wherever he went one asked for a favour in return.