Chapter Five: A Place to Call Home

Sang heard the door of the diner close behind her with a soft thud. As she took a step or two towards Karen's pick-up a gust of the chilly October air flew past her. The fall breeze that had just gone by ruffled the receipt that Sang was still holding onto. The wind had opened the paper just enough for Sang to see that something was written on it. Sang pulled the paper open the rest of the way to see a small note.

Hey, Cupcake! I'll be waiting for your text. ;)
-Luke

     Sang stopped in her tracks as she took in the message and phone number that was on the paper in front of her. She was hit hard with two feelings she hadn't felt in a long time. Need and want filled her, leaving room for nothing else for a moment. The feeling of longing followed closely behind, her body stiffened. She didn't understand what this was or why her body was reacting in such a manner.

     In the truck Karen watched her friend's reaction with concern. When Sang began to move again a sigh escaped her lips. As Sang neared the old pick-up Karen started the car and unlocked the passenger door.

     "You okay?" Karen asked.

     "Yeah," smiled Sang, "sorry. I didn't mean to make you wait."

     "Sang, you don't need to be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong. What happened?"

"N-Nothing," stuttered Sang as she turned her head away to hide the blush that blossomed like flowers on her cheeks.

"Liar! Come on. Spill it, Sweetie!"

Sang took a deep breath before she turned back to Karen, hoping the blush had calmed down. It didn't.

"Well, um...Luke gave me his number." Sang rushed out but Karen heard every word.

"Oh, shit! Model Diner Man has the hots for you?!" Squealed Karen. "Let me see, let me see!"

Karen held out her hand, waiting. A pout started to form on Sang's lips but she handed the receipt over to her friend. Karen read the small note before she gave it back to Sang.

"We're getting you a phone today." Karen told Sang, smiling. Karen was going to help Sang get herself a good man.

"What? Karen, wai—" Sang was saying before she was cut off by Karen.

"Yes, we've got to text him later! Plus, you need a phone. You're going to be living on your own so it can be used as a safety precaution." Karen said, trying to sell her point as fast as she could.

"Fine," huffed Sang. "But just something basic."

"Whatever you want. After this appointment with B&T Realtors and Remodeling we're going shopping!" exclaimed Karen.

Sang let out a small groan just as Karen's phone went off. When Karen looked at the screen and saw it was Rocky she answered.

"Hey, Rocky! What's up?" Karen asked into the phone. Sang watched as Karen's face changed from calm to furious in a matter of seconds. "Pack a bag. We'll pick you up in ten minutes. You're not staying there."

Sang's eyes widened at the sound of Karen's voice. It was almost as if she was growling. Something bad must have happened if Karen sounded and looked the way she did. When she saw Karen end the call she turned to her friend.

"What happened?" Sang asked, softly.

"Rocky's dad came home and beat him. Rocky doesn't understand why but he doesn't feel safe and he wants to leave." Karen let her know.