Fairykind

I rewrote the part where the Sphinx told Kendra that she is fairykind. I made it so that she has more powers than just speaking fairy language. So here goes. Hope you enjoy! 

-------------------------------------------------------

The Sphinx. What made everyone call him the Sphinx? Is he from Egypt? Kendra shook herself out of those thoughts as the car slowed to a stop. They all staggered out of the car, stretching after the long ride.

Inside the house, Mr. Lich ushered them up the carpeted stairs. At the top, they pushed through a beaded curtain into a room with shaggy, calico carpet, a pair of brown sofas, and four suede beanbag chairs. A heavy ceiling fan spun slowly. A large, old-fashioned radio stood in the corner, softly playing big band music as if tuned to a station broadcasting out of the past.

Placing a hand on Grandma's shoulder, Mr. Lich motioned toward the couches.

Turning to Kendra, he gestured toward a door on the other side of the room. Kendra glanced at Grandma, who nodded.

Kendra crossed the room and knocked softly. 

"Come in," A deep voice, barely audible, came from inside the room.

Kendra opened the door and found herself in a large room.

A black man with short, beaded dreadlocks stood beside a Foosball table. His skin was not merely a shade of brown ----it was as close to true black as Kendra had ever seen. He was of average height and build, and wore a loose gray shirt, cargo pants, and sandals. His handsome face had an ageless quality-he could have been in his thirties or his fifties.

"You are the Sphinx?" Kendra checked.

"I am." He said.

"And why do they call you that, may I ask? You don't seem to have a tail or a mane."

The Sphinx's eyes twinkled with amusement. "Consider it a code name."

"Then what is your real name?" Kendra fired back, not giving him a moment's respite. 

"Does it matter?" He asked back, answering a question with a question. 

"I suppose not," Kendra said, tiring of this game. 

"Can I offer you a drink? Juice? Cream soda? Chocolate milk, maybe?" The Sphinx asked heading toward the freezer. 

"Cream soda sounds good," Kendra said and he opened the freezer, drawing out a frosty mug with ice inside it. 

"Please, sit." The Sphinx nodded to the couches and Kendra plopped down on the comfy cushions. 

The Sphinx handed her the mug. Her first few sips were all froth. When she finally reached the soda, it was a perfect mix of sweet, creamy, cool, and bubbly. "Thanks, this is delicious," Kendra said.

"The pleasure is mine." The Sphinx sat down on the couch opposite of hers. "I have at least part of the answer you came here seeking. You are fairykind."

Kendra blinked. "I am... very kind?"

"Fairy... kind." The Sphinx repeated with great precision.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kendra asked.

"It means that you are unique in all the world, Kendra. In my long years and many travels, I have never met anyone who was fairykind, though I am familiar with the signs and see them expressed plainly in you. Tell me, did you sample the elixir you prepared for the fairies?"

"Yes actually. I was trying to convince them to drink it."

The corners of his mouth lifted slightly, showing dimples in his cheeks. "Then perhaps you gave them an incentive, he said. They had to either make you fairykind or watch you die."