xi. Icy Hearts

━━ chapter elevenicy hearts( jason )

━━ chapter eleven
icy hearts
( jason )

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

    ━━Leaving Leo was the last thing Jason wanted to do, but he was starting to think that hanging out with Cal the hockey jock might be the least dangerous option in this place. As they climbed the icy staircase, Zethes stayed behind him, his blade drawn. The guy might've looked like a disco-era reject, but there was nothing funny about his sword; one hit from that thing and Jason was sure he'd be a humanoid lemonade iceblock.

    Then, there was the ice princess. Every once in a while she'd turn and give Jason a smile, but there was no warmth in her expression. She regarded Jason like he was some sort of specimen━one she wanted nothing more than to dissect right then and there.

    (If these were Boreas's kids, Jason wasn't sure he wanted to meet their father. Annabeth told him Boreas was the friendliest of the wind gods ... he's beginning to realise that she meant he didn't kill heroes quite as fast as the others did).

    Jason worried that he'd led his friends into a trap. If things went bad, he wasn't sure he could get them out alive. He felt like he needed to; that he owed them that much. He had just turned up in their lives, his memories wiped while they had fake memories of him, and yet they didn't hesitate to follow him in this quest; Jason needed to offer them something, he needed to make up for what Hera put them through. It wasn't his fault, but he seriously felt like it was. Another part of him wondered whether these guys followed him from their memories of a version of him, and not the real Jason ...

     Who even was the real Jason? 

     What could he offer? How could he lead a quest? How could he protect them?

     He was a nobody who could barely even remember a slither of his real past. 

    Without thinking about it, Jason took Piper's hand for reassurance.

     She raised her eyebrows at him, but didn't let go.

    Jason felt bad; he did. The relationship she held with him had been a lie, and he could tell she held onto it with a tight grip. He didn't want to lead her on, he didn't want to hurt her ... but he couldn't help it. She made him feel calm; with her voice like honey and beautiful eyes. Jason couldn't remember whether there was someone else, but as he looked at Piper and feel her squeeze his hand, he really wished it was just her; he wanted it to end up just her. 

    "It'll be fine," she promised. "Just a talk, right?"

    At the top of the stairs, the ice princess looked back and noticed them holding hands. Her smile faded. Suddenly, Jason's hand in Piper's turned ice cold━burning cold. He let go, and his fingers were smoking with frost. So were Piper's. Behind them, Savreen glared at the princess. Jason felt a little better knowing she had their back in her own way.