Old Strings Broken [Part 1]

Valentines is almost here. The boys and girls of Greendale College were unsettle by the idea of exchanging roses or in another case lamenting about another year of being single. Those who don’t have anyone to spend Valentines are more fortunate than the boys in my opinion. They are the most pitiful people in the school during this time of the year, with their girlfriends boasting loudly to one and other making sure their man give them more roses than the other girls.

Oh I’m sorry…Let me fill you out. Selling and buying roses on Valentine’s Day is a tradition in our school founded by a group of former students about twenty thirty years ago and have being continued through the next generations. Students are not required to buy one but those who want to buy one for their love interest or friend can choose between red roses or yellow roses. These roses are just roses the colours also have a meaning; red for love and yellow for friendship. Students can also have a choice of sending the roses with a little message card or just leave it mysteriously taped on the door of the receiver’s locker which makes the whole event even exciting for the receiver to guess who the secret admirer might be.

Getting roses for a school event takes a lot off effort especially when roses are on high demands during this season of love but that’s already solved since my aunt, June, runs a florist the school receives lots of discounts every year. Not only that, the ValD (Valentine’s Day) committee would sell the roses five percent higher than the brought price and each rose that is sold one dollar would be donated to a foundation. As for this year ValD has chosen the Red Cross and I also happened to be a part of it as well.

“Ooo la la~” Chanel, the pretty straight blonde sang. “I wonder how many roses will Jason Powell give you this year?”

“Definitely twelve yellow roses for each year that you’ve been together. Am I right, Cassie?” Abbey nudged me in the hip, who happened to be a friend of Chanel who’s going out with one of Jason’s friends.

“Yo, who are you girls bitching about now?” Jace rocked up from behind me and swung an arm around my shoulders, using me as an armrest and startling me at the same time.

“Why do you guys always assume that we’re always bitching about someone’s back?” Abbey asserted.

“Well isn’t that what you girls do best?”

Alex and Hamish, two of Jace’s friend’s joined us at the bottom of the staircase.

“Oh yeah and you boys don’t?” Abbey Challenged. “I’m sure some of you boys love to stare at the girls and eliminating when they don’t satisfy your lust minds.”

“Oh Abbey, sheeesh! My Alex wouldn’t do that right, babe?” Chanel wrapped her arms around Alex’s neck and went into a passionate kiss, then broke away. “Besides, we were just curious of when the ever so popular Jason Powell make his move on Cassandra.”

“Me and Cass?” Jace was alarmed although this wasn’t new to him. “You gotta be kidding! We’re just soul brother and sister right Cass?”

Jace lent down and ruffled my hair. I just realized his hands were much larger than it used to be in primary school when we held hands wherever we go but that was millennia ago. As he fell back laughing at Chanel’s statement, I bit the inside of my mouth and forced a smile. If only he knew he was much more than that and I’d lie.

Jason Maurice Powell, a boy that anyone can count on and someone to be envy on. He may the most perfect being on earth and likes to stay in the side lines but besides all of that, he has doting parents, an older brother to joke around with and surrounded by people wanting to be friends with him. Just that part about him already made me want to swap lives with just to have a complete family.