Chapter 1 - A Life Plan Goes To Bust

Olivia's always had a flair for the dramatic.

Or, at least, for exaggerating.

I sigh as I hear the melancholy 'Heyy' on the other side, put her on loudspeaker and continue my furious war with the keyboard - I had a deadline to meet, and having Olivia complain in the background is equivalent to playing Lo-fi music for productivity.

'This isn't fair, what did I do to deserve this?'

Nothing, Liv. That's your problem. You don't do shit.

'I thought this was it, I thought it was the one. I couldn't wait to get out of my old life and begin fresh.'

Your new life sounds awfully familiar to your old one. Well, now that you don't have one anymore. Okay, getting too mean now.

'Not a call, not even a text. Just goes off with the new scum - I shouldn't say scum, it's not her fault, and there's no point bringing down another girl when it's the GUY who's broken promises he'd made to me..'

Promises he made in your dreams?

'..and I saw him getting out of the college gate the other day, he barely acknowledged me with a glance. If only he'd tell me if I was a good kisser I would know to move..'

'If-you-were-a-good-WHAT?' I cock my head towards the phone on my lap, as if she can see my face, and let my fingers hover above the keyboard as if I've Arresto Momentum-ed them.

'Um.. yeah', she goes, pretending to think as if she didn't plan this whole ruse just to get to this point. 'I kinda figured you were doing the thing where you're lending a sympathetic ear but not really listening - and just letting me rant - which I appreciate, sure, but now that this slipped out of my mouth..'

At this point, she actually pauses. Ellipsis personified. Our college had a shitty drama club, but if it were any better she would have been President.

'Go on, you have my full attention.'

Just give the devil what she needs.