24: End of The Trials

"I can't wait to take you home with me."

It was a quiet night, peaceful and comfortable as Kyojuro rested his head on your lap whilst you caressed your nimble fingers through his wild flame colored mane. Despite the way it looks, his hair was surprisingly soft like faux fur.

He beamed that trademark smile of his up at you, to which you scoffed and shook your head.

Hmm..I don't know, Kyo. What if your family doesn't like me?" You asked.

He had long since shared with you the heartbreaking story of his family, and it still weighs heavily on your heart knowing that he lost his mother when he was just a child, and his father turned to alcohol as a way to cope with the pain. This revelation left you with a sense of unease and apprehension about meeting your potential future father-in-law.

Kyojuro frowned slightly, yet the love and compassion he had still lingered in his eyes. He knew how boorish his father could be; however, Kyojuro didn't want the fact of his father being an uncouth drunk to stop you from loving him. He refused to let something like that ruin his relationship with you! Besides, Shinjuro seemed relatively pleased when Kyojuro first told him about you, his beloved wife.

Hell, the elder Rengoku even gave him a proud pat on the shoulder when Kyojuro mentioned marriage, which, of course, surprised him greatly! And his little brother, Senjuro, had been so happy to hear the news and couldn't wait to meet you. The younger Rengoku even went so far as to refer to you as his "big sister," regardless of having met you yet!

And if his mother, Ruka, were still alive today, she'd most definitely be happy to know you. If only she could see the impact you've had on his life, the way you've brought joy into his world.

You were his snow flower.

His lover.

His wife.

His future!

You were perfect in every way!

Kyojuro gently stroked a thumb over your cheek while red and golden eyes gazed up at you with compassion, with want, and with love.

"They'll love you! They'll see how happy you make me, and that's all that matters." He tells you.

You couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over you as Kyojuro's words filled you with confidence. You knew that with his support and love, you could face any challenges that came your way, including winning over his family.

──────────────

"KYO!" You exclaimed.

There he stood, standing there looking a true knight in shining armor! The evening sun now shining as you took the time to acknowledge several blood smears laying in the snow with flames burning what was obviously the dead bodies of the demons that he single handedly defeated. Red and golden eyes slowly glanced up at you as a small smile crossed his lips, before he suddenly collapsed.

"KYOJURO!" You yelled, quickly running over to him.

You were afraid he was seriously hurt as you crouched down, maneuvering him so his head could rest on your lap and quickly checked him for any injuries.