The Sleepless Night

11pm

...

Everyone is asleep.

Well, everyone except for me.

I can't get a wink of sleep. I don't know why. Maybe I'm thinking about something? Maybe it's my anxiety? But whatever it is, I just cannot sleep. I'm wide awake. Should I take a sleeping pill? Probably not. I mean, they're not even mine. They're my sisters, and if I got caught taking one, I'd be dead. But it's just that everyone else in this house is quiet and asle-

*Glug*

Wait. What was that.

11:04

Where did that come from?! But, most importantly, what was that!?

Well, I guess not everyone is asleep after all.

So, I guess I am now detective Sadie. On the case. You know, I always wanted to be a detective when I was little. So I guess now I am. I just have to be really super quiet otherwise who knows how mad my parents might be. But, as I said before, I'm not the best at sneaking around, so easier said than done.

I think the noise came from the kitchen. Lets go.

I'm doing pretty well at sneaking this time actually! I haven't made any mistakes or noise yet.

*CREAK*

Famous last words. Anyway. Lets just keep going and be the detective we always wanted to be.

11:06

 I'm in the kitchen.

Well, almost.

I'm like one step away from the kitchen. So why am I not going in you might ask?

Okay. Fine. I'm scared. I'm not sure who, or what, was making that noise in the kitchen. But I guess if I know I'll be less scared right?

Right?

Anyway lets look.

"Lillia!?" I whisper-shouted

She turned around and her face looked like a mix of scared and oh-my-god-I'm-so-weird.

"Sadie!?" She said quietly

Her face changed. she was now scared, surprised and angry.

"What are you doing! It's like 11pm!" I said

 She raised her eyebrows in confusion then checked her watch. I knew she wouldn't know the time.

"11pm! Oh shoot! I thought it was like 10! I was just getting a drink." She replied

She put down a glass, but not quietly, it made a lot of noise. She then proceeded to wash it and put it away, along with what seemed to be a wine bottle, but I couldn't really tell, as my eyes were still adjusting to the light. But I was still really shocked. So I reacted.

"Wait... A drink?! Like alcohol?! You're only 16!"

She turned and looked at me like I put the w in ew.

"Yes like alcohol! Geez, I'm not that underage!  2 years is not a lot! *Dramatic sigh* I'm going to bed now and you are NOT going to tell mum or dad about this! Am I clear!?" she whispered angrily, with her teeth clenched.

She flicked off the lights really loudly.

"Oh. Um. Okay... g'night."

That was more scary than I expected. I don't know what I really expected anyway but not that! maybe my sister was drunk or maybe she was just mad but... she was scary.

12am

Okay. Now I know why I'm not sleeping. It's not my anxiety, or not taking medication.

It's my sister.

Now I know she probably just drank too much but she shouldn't have been drinking in the first place! She's underage and the way she acted was... unexplainable. I can't describe it. Its like she was a whole different person... I didn't like that at all. 

But wait...

What if she's hungover tomorrow...

Well, mum and dad will probably blow up, ground her, and then she'll blame me.

But it's her fault! She's the one who is actually hungover from stealing red wine from the alcohol fridge and drinking like half a bottle! I didn't do that, she did. So she has to pay the price. Right?

At least I hope so. I really really hope so. I don't want to see her like that again. Ever.