Chapter 7: Cruelty

"YOU TALKED TO HIM?!" Mirella yelled, and I covered my ears. "I wanted a shower." Nita deadpanned. "You're mad." Mirella said "Possibly." Nita agreed and I glared. I talked to Kovit a lot. "But you still attend told me exactly what you are." Nita noted. "I mean.... why you're in here." Mirella sat on her bed.

"Have you ever heard of the pink dolphins in the Amazon River?" She asked, and I got curious. "Hmm... I wasn't expecting that." Nita said, and I shrugged. "Me neither." I agreed. "There's an old legend, among the people who live along the Amazon. They say a mysterious man walks into the village at sundown. The man seduces the local girls with his charm, they share the night together, but all the while he conceals his true form. Sometimes he gets the girl pregnant, and leaves by the next morning." Mirella said, and I sat up. "That's messed up!" Nita and I said in unison.

"But in my favorite version...." Mirella continued, "the man lures the girl out to the river. He sweet talks her with the promises of marriage, but instead, he reveals himself, taking her body into the deep. By sunrise, the Boto is already on his way to steal a daughter from the next village." Mirella finished. "That's not exactly a fairy tale." Nita commented. "Neither is the tale of Perseus." I muttered.

"It's popular where I come from in Iquitos." Mirella said. "So you can turn into a dolphin?" Nita asked. "Of course not!" Mirella said with a laugh. "But just like a Boto Cor-De-Rosa from the legend I can change the color of my skin depending on my diet." Mirella said, and I smiled. "I think I might be able to do that too..... maybe." I said, looking at the camera, and Nita began hitting the glass again. "What are you doing?" Mirella asked.

"I was hoping your adaption would be more useful." Nita said. "I could turn into a rhino if I had an animal book." I muttered. "Can you do anything besides heal yourself?" Mirella asked, confusing me before I realized she was talking to Nita. "Seriously, stop! The Zannie said he'd be back any minute!" Mirella said, and I growled. "His name is Kovit! Stop calling him the Zannie! It's rude!" I called. Crack!

"What was that?" I asked, and Mirella blanched. "I told you to stop!" Mirella yelled. "What? What's happening, I can't see!" I asked, pressing my face against the glass. I pried away as Kovit walked back in, putting clothes in through the latch of Nitas cell. "What's wrong with your hand?" Kovit asked her, and I sighed, not getting answers. "Nothing." Nita said, and I banged my forehead against the glass. "Is the so?" Kovit asked, looking at me. "Don't look at me, I can't see shit she's doin'." I said, and he reached into his pocket. I heard Nita hold her breathe. She thought it was his knife.

"Almost forgot." Kovit said, placing the soap down. "Ms. Reyes wants you to look presentable for the buyers." Kovit said, walking away. "Shower will be on in two minutes." He said, and he glanced at me.

"Ahh! Cold!" Nita said when the water turned on. "Nita... do you have any family?" Mirella asked, and I winced "My family is from northern Peru and Brazil. I miss them... even my stupid older brother." Mirella said and I looked at the door. "Mirella." Nita said, "Who watches the security cameras?"

"The Zannie." "Kovit." Mirella and I said in unison. "HEY! KOVIT!" Nita yelled, and Mirella panicked. "What are you doing?!" Mirella asked. "Changing things up." Nita said, and I flopped on the mattress. "Mirella, Jimena." Nita began slowly. "Does Kovit watch the cameras twenty four hours a day?" Nita asked. "I'm done talking to you right now." Mirella said. "He can't watch the cameras twenty four seven, he has to eat and sleep." I said.

"Mirella, please. You've wanted my attention since I got here." Nita reasoned. "Nope. Not anymore." Mirella said, hunching over. Kovit began walking in, and Mirella swore. "Jesuchristo." Mirella swore. "Did you need something?" Kovit asked, and Nita faltered. "Um..." "Did you wave me down here just to admire me, pr slmething else?" Kovit asked, and I smirked. "Can you blame her?" I joked, and Mirella and Kovit looked at me weird. "Joking, joking." I said, holding up my hands in surrender. "Christ, learn to take a joke." I muttered. "Nothing then." Kovit said, starting to walk away.