chapter one.

OLD HOME AND NEW TRAILS
july 31st

( and even if you're not here to stay, i'm happy the universe allowed your soul to stop by )

The inability to breathe properly was compared to drowning. It was a constant battle with her own self, one she was bound to lose eventually. She used to crave being in the water, it blanketed her with comfort. Yet, it only became a source of panic; the fight to allow air into her lungs is why she preferred the safety of land now. No matter how threatening that was on its own.

"It will all be okay.." She heard her mother whisper softly beside her, her hand reaching out to grasp her hand; not bothering to contain the gasp of surprise at how cold her skin felt. "Oh honey, let me get you a jacket." Her hand slipped from Alice's grasp, eliciting a soft exhale.

"It will all be okay.." Became an empty promise long ago, one she grew tired of more and more each time it was spoken.

She felt the warmth evelop her upper body, tension leaking out of her body. She was thankful when her mother sat farther away this time. Alice knew she got uncomfortable at the feeling of her skin, she made it known to Alice. "You always say that." She murmured, gently releasing a scoff in disbelief.

Alice could practically feel what she would say next, "You need to stop being so negative, you have to be positive in a situation like this." She sounded disappointed, brows furrowed with a sense of aggression.

Just as her mothers mouth opened to say more, the doctor had thankfully interrupted. The door made a soft click as it opened, being met with a gentle smile.

"Alice, I'm guessing. I am Doctor Geyer." He introduced, his hand resting out for Alice to shake; partially covering her hand before gripping his with a firm shake.

Her mother leant forward to grip his after, seeming to have a purpose in gathering his attention. "She has been feeling overly sick again, which we were promised she wouldn't feel with this medication. She's constantly tired, throwing up all the time, it's harder for her to breath and she has be-"

He cut her off with an explanation, "I have been informed of all her symptoms, Miss Livingston. I would like Alice to explain them to me, since she is the one feeling them." His hand gestured to her, twisting his body to relax against the counter in front of her. "What have you been feeling exactly?"

She spared a glance to her Mother, fingers rubbing along the seam on her jacket. "It's harder for me to breathe properly, uhm I haven't been able to eat a lot because it just makes me feel sick. I can't do many activities or I will end up passing out. It is just many repeated symptoms." She explained it thoroughly. Yet she found herself pausing, her teeth catching on her lower lip. A tell tale sign she was lying. "But not being able to breathe is what scares me the most."

Just as the confession left her lips, she shifted her gaze to his own; only viewing sympathy they always show for her. "How long have the symptoms been happening again?" He had pulled out a clipboard, his pen creating soft noises as he wrote.