chapter two.

NEW PROMISES AND GENTLE CARESSES
august 1st

(  she cried for the day he would come to her with no hesitation, yet that day would never come  )

"I don't trust these doctors. I still think we should go back to Chicago, they were smarter there." Her mom complained once again, judgment clear in her tone. She was still beyond upset over being told to leave for a couple hours, which had turned into the next day.

Alice had been resisting the urge just to allow sleep to take over her once more. She was exhausted from the tests, from all the questions, she just wanted to sleep now.

"They are all stupid, mom." She mumbled incoherently.

Her hand was rubbing her chest softly, each breath caused the pain to flare up. It had been bugging her since last night, practically keeping her awake till the sun rose.

Her mom scoffed from annoyance, her eyes narrowing judgmentally at Alice. "You couldn't even sleep last night, it's all this place's fault." She gestured around the small room, which she had also complained about; saying how it's too small in size to be comfortable.

Alice shook her head, dismissing her complaints with an exhale. "I couldn't sleep because I couldn't breathe well." She corrected, her words slurred from exhaustion.

Her eyes felt heavy, being kept open out of anxiety for her results. She could feel herself swaying in her spot, her free hand pressing down on the mattress to keep her upright.

"They should've given you something to help you sleep. A good doctor would know when their patient needs help." Her mother retorted, her tone sharp with frustration.

She found herself twisting on the bed, her left cheek hitting the pillow softly. Her gaze was trained on the cracked door, partially hoping the doctor would come in and tell her mother to leave again.

Alice could distantly hear her mother going on about the unfairness of this hospital, spouting out complaints after complaints.

She found herself cutting her mother off, "What if I'm dying again?" Her voice cracked with unease, the sentence causing the pain in chest to halt for a moment. Her expression remained neutral, no hint of sadness nor fear was evident.

Her mother froze in her seat. In her peripheral vision, she could see her mouth falling open and closed till she exhaled, preparing herself for the 'you will be okay' speech. One she had grown accustomed to.

"It's probably just a flare up. You've had those before and they just sent you home with better medicine and then you were better. Don't automatically imagine the worst possible scenario." This speech was the same as the rest, a little more mature due to her age.

Her last flare up was when she was twelve, she could remember the way her eyes burned when she cried herself to sleep that night. Clutching onto her doll as her breathing sped up to the point where she thought she would die that night.