Deals A Deal

She made the deal many years ago and has lived in fear of her own demise for that length of time. She walked down the street contemplating the success of her life has had and what a complete idiot she was; it was only moments after she sold her soul to the man himself that she regretted it. Unfortunately there was nothing she could do when he swiftly rolled the contract and tucked it into his coat. She could remember how gorgeous he was, how charming. He lured her in with everything she could ever desire and faster than she could think he threatened to take it away unless she gave him something.

He never told her what it was until she agreed verbally to give him something; she agreed quickly without knowing what it was he wanted, she loved her life, the popularity, and everything that came along with it.

"I want your soul." He said, so casually like it was not even a thing to even to give a second thought to giving.

To her, he was an angel so she complied easily "Take it, it's yours" she told him. She never really thought of souls as important, it wasn't a tangible thing so how could anyone claim something that wasn't physical?

With a smile he pulled the paper from a drawer in the beautiful oak desk in his office and laid an antique looking paper in front of her, stroking her arm in a loving way to encourage her to sign. She took the black pen and scrawled her name carefully on the line. She thought it was odd the ink was not black. She had seen him write with it many times and the ink was always black. But this time it bled red like she pricked her finger.

She noticed as she wrote her name in her beautiful cursive that something wasn't right. With each millimeter the pen made she felt something inside that screamed at her to stop, something that was being pulled away with what felt like force, like that of a person refusing to go through a door but having to drag them through anyway despite their resistance. But she kept writing, and it wasn't till after she doted the 'I' in her name and the paper quickly but lithely disappeared from her sight and was rolled that she realized her mistake as the handsome man she had known shifted his expression that caused genuine terror to take over her body.

His smile curled in a way that made her sick and he leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Well my dear, it seems we have an agreement we both will enjoy. You will continue with the rich and fancy life as I promised." Her eyes were wide with disbelief at her own stupidity as he left her alone. She hadn't seen him since that fateful day.

But as she turned the corner to head out of Washington Square Park, a man ran into her. He grabbed ahold of her shoulders as if he were going to rob her. She was about to cry out until she looked into the face of this man. It was him. Fear gripped her making her lungs panic and her nerves run wild. Something was off though; he wasn't the extraordinarily handsome man he was when he left all those years ago.

He saw her fear and relished in it for the very short moment, before he spoke. "I need your help." I said to her intensely.

She blinked confused, "What?" All she could think was to be out of his grasp. He frightened her so much she could hardly think; he sensed that and released her, but keeping close to her talking in a low voice.

"I need your help." He repeated this time there was something in his voice she couldn't quite understand. "I need you to come back with me."

"It can't be my time. You promised. God, what happened to you?" she questioned him watching him flinch when she said God, she smiled internally. But it faded quickly as she backed away a step to truly look at him and take in his disheveled appearance. "Why do you look like you've been hit by a bus?"

His eyes hardened as he responded, "I have a problem at home." He started flexing on the word 'home'.

"So, what does that have to do with me?" she retorted. He already had her soul what more could she possibly have left of value to him.