five: rejected holidays and too-long sleepovers

14th December          

When I wake from my first good sleep in at least a week there is a dull light coming from my phone charging on my bedside table. 6 messages from Lacey light up my phone screen.

7:34

Hey

7:56

Hey

8:04

Y u no text me :(

8:05

Hellooo

8:15

Can I come over?

8:32

I’m coming over. B there in ten :)

I roll my eyes and check the time. 8:41 she’ll be here any minute. I climb out of bed and get into some clothes, hiding my bed hair with a cap. When I get downstairs, dad cooking eggs in the kitchen and Anna is painting her toenails on the couch. Early morning cartoons are playing on tv.

I pour some cocoa pops into a bowl and drown them in milk. “Where’s mum?’ I ask dad.

“She went to coffee with Veronica.”

There is a loud and fast knocking at the door. I open to find a very excited looking Lacey. “I have been texting for ages! You never answered me!” I rub my eyes.

“I was sleeping.” She comes in and I grab my cocoa pops from the kitchen.

“Come on. I need to talk to you.” She is practically jumping with excitement. She grabs my arm and drags me up the stairs. “I can’t believe I haven’t talked to you for so long!”

“Lacey, you literally have not stopped texting me since I agreed to go to those fairs.”

“Look, Ally, as much as I worship the brilliant invention of texting, it’s not the same as talking in person. Now come on, I want every. Single. Detail.”

I sigh. “Really? I mean, do I seriously have to recount it to you? It’s not even that exciting. We just go to fairs with each other. No biggie.”

“That’s not true! You babysat Jason together!”

I roll my eyes. “Fine, we also babysat. Happy?”

“Not until you tell me everything. E-VUH-RHI-THI-NGG. Capiche.”

If we hadn’t been in my bedroom I would’ve poured my cereal on her head. Instead I just tell her about the music festival. Being a serial Meghan Trainor/One Direction addict, she had no idea who any of the bands or artists that played there where, apart from lorde (“ She’s the royals girl, right? “).