Chapter 5: Friendly Family Fun

Copyright © 2018, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad or Inkitt, it has been plagiarized. 

Awkwardness filled the car's cabin as the sisters traveled in the direction of their parents' house. Rico was still upset from earlier, glaring darts in the back of Kat's head as he simpered in his seat. Kasi adorably eyed him warily, spewing baby babble from time to time in his direction as if warning him to leave her mother alone. Kit didn't know what to do to ease the tension, but Kat could seem to care less.

"You know, if we had told Mom and Dad that you were home, Mom would have made you a big feast. It was always her goal to fatten us up."

Kat snorted, rolling her eyes. "I think that was both of their missions. Daddy didn't want us dating a soul. I'm surprised he never hassled Cole in the beginning."

Kit chuckled as she made a few turns in the direction of their parents' neighborhood. "You know Daddy was hooked the minute Cole gave him his secret barbecue sauce recipe. He ought to be ashamed."

The sisters laughed together, enjoying a couple of other old stories before pulling into their parents' driveway. Kat waited for her sister to fight with her niece on who would unbuckle the car seat's safety belt. She should have been trying to talk with Rico to get him out of his funk, but the petty side of her wanted to leave him to fester in the ass whooping Kit had so easily served.

"Rico, we should probably head towards the door," she finally spoke in an attempt to be the bigger person.

"Now you remember me?" He snipped, stepping out of the car.

"Are you going to keep up with the attitude? My parents are nice, but they don't take bullshit either," Kat advised. She pushed her long hair behind her back, crossing her arms as she waited for him to respond. When he remained silent, she took that as a sign of compliance. Once they were all prepared, they convened at the door with Kasi eager to ring the bell.

It didn't take long for the front door to be snatched open with all the commotion they were making. The surprise was somewhat ruined, but Kat couldn't stop the tears from flowing as she jumped into her father's arms. He was too shocked to speak, laughing as he picked her up, squeezing her tightly. Kit's eyes teared up watching their reunion and she pounced on the duo with her daughter squealing in delight.

"What in the world is going on?" Their mother walked to the door with concern which turned into amazement. "Oh, my babies. My babies are here!"

"Dad, you're squeezing me too much," Kat huffed. "Hey Mom," she squeaked. Breathing heavily once her father released her. She reached for her mother, laughing as she was once again smothered to death.

"My little angel! What are you doing here? When did you come back?"

Kit was not helping matters, jumping up and down with Kasi swinging wildly in her left arm giggling away, only adding more excitement to the high-energy re-encounter. "Isn't this amazing? This is totally amazing!"

Rico cleared his throat as a reminder that they were not alone. This emotional reunion was awkward for him. His family was not the affectionate type. The last time he hugged either his mother or father, he had to be about four years old. He fought the good fight of hiding his frown, but there was only so long he could school his face.

"Oh, who is this young whippersnapper?" her mother asked.

"Oh, Let me introduce you. Rico," Kat began, "This is my father, Avery, and my mother, Jenny, but you can call them Mr. and Mrs. Stone."