Chapter 13

"I still have a hard time trusting that a machine can fly itself without any help from a human," Steve admitted aloud before putting the Quinjet on autopilot.

     Bucky made no sound of acknowledgement, but Steve knew he too likely shared the same sentiment.

     "Let's get you fixed up, Buck."

     When there was no objection made, Steve grabbed a large first aid kit. Brushing the dark strands of hair out of Bucky's face revealed that his hair was stiff with dried blood and his face was more beaten than Steve had realized. Gently wiping the caked blood off Bucky's face with an antiseptic towelette, Steve began to clean up his lifelong friend.

     "You know, I used to be the one fixing you up after you got in fights," Bucky tried to joke.

     "Where do you think I learned how to do this so well?" Steve replied with a small grin.

     Once Bucky's face was free of any remaining blood, Steve carefully cleaned his long brown hair with a damp cloth.

     "Does it hurt?" Steve asked, motioning to what was left of the metal arm.

     Bucky stared blankly ahead. "Just as much as if it were skin and bone."

     Steve shuddered as the memory of when Bucky lost his flesh arm flashed across his mind.

     "Is there anything I can do for you?"

     Bucky only shook his head.

     "Alright. If that changes, let me know," Steve said as he began washing his own wounds.

     The combination of physical exhaustion and emotional distress caused Bucky to doze-off.

~

     Aware of someone touching his right shoulder, Bucky woke up some time later.

     "Hey, hey. The Quinjet is cloaked so no one should bother you. Make sure the girl doesn't do anything crazy. I'm going to go get some supplies. I won't be gone too long," Steve explained and Bucky nodded.

     The stillness of the Quinjet said that it was parked on the ground. While curious as to his current location, Bucky decided that he did not care to know where they were and he would rather remain ignorant as to their final destination for the time being.

     Turning to glance at the girl, Bucky caught sight of his metal nub. This was not the first time the arm had been destroyed, but now there was no way to replace it.

     "Without it, I'm not as dangerous and I am less likely to hurt anyone," Bucky told himself.

     But the U.N. bombing, the airport fight, the battle at the HYDRA base, the disbandment of the Avengers, and Steve now being a war criminal were all his fault though.

     Hell, the literal physical manifestation of all the wrong he had ever done lay unconscious behind him right now. She was yet another innocent life ruined by the Winter Soldier.

     The longer Steve was gone, the deeper into the darkness Bucky let his mind go....

~

     "I'm back! Did you miss me?" Steve teased upon his return.

     Bucky replied completely deadpan with "Oh, you were gone? I never noticed."

     Steve laughed before pulling out two rectangular red and white checkered paper dishes and handing one to Bucky.

     "Sorry they're a little smooshed," he apologized.

     "Hot dogs?"

     Steve smiled. "Believe it or not, these were the best ones I could find and I didn't even blow all of our money on them."

     Bucky chuckled faintly, remembering their collective remembrance of that adventure from the '40's before entering the HYDRA base earlier that day.

     "There's also two loaves of bread, a dozen apples, and a jar of peanut butter if you get hungry again," Steve informed him proudly as he drew said goods out of his knapsack. 

     Bucky nodded in approval and the pair ate their hotdogs in silence. 

     Afterwards, Steve piloted the Quinjet back into the sky and put it on autopilot for the night.

     The day had taken far too great a toll. Despite rarely sleeping well and having already had a generous nap, Bucky's eyes slipped shut and sleep overtook him.