Late night visitor (Part 3)

"Y/N, my dear child, I am so glad to see you! And I'm glad you came! Roman told me that you didn't respond to the invitation at first," Roman's mother Patricia said to me as soon as she saw me and immediately pulled me into her arms.

"It's nice to see you too. I'm still not so sure what I'm doing here. I feel like an intruder," I explained to her.

"Nonsense! You're family. No matter what that little miss bride says." she retorted.

"What do you mean? Roman told me that she agreed to invite me and that you even insisted on it," I wanted to know.

"Well, at first she didn't wanted you to come, but Roman talked some sense into her. And I would have gotten really mad, too, if you hadn't come. It's been so long since we've seen each other and I've missed you. I could still kick Roman's butt for letting you go back then. But I know that nothing happens without a reason," she told me.

Between the lines was to be heard out quite clearly that the thing with my invitation had probably not gone off completely without discussions. That made me even more uncomfortable to meet the bride. Hopefully that would go well.

Moments later, it was time to take our seats, because the ceremony was about to begin. I first took a seat in one of the back rows. But Roman's mother would not have it. She took my hand and pulled me with her and sat me in the row with the rest of the family. Well, this was getting really weird now.

Then the music started to play and Roman walked down the aisle together with his best man and groomsmen. And he was right, he really looked incredibly handsome. When his gaze fell on me, I smiled softly and a wide, satisfied grin also appeared on his face. He looked happy and that was the most important thing for me.

It wasn't long before the music changed and all the guests rose from their seats as the bride entered the church. But I paid no attention to her. My eyes remained on Roman. Every now and then he looked at me. Shouldn't he look at his bride who was slowly walking towards him on the arm of her father?

I tried not to think about it, probably he was just a little nervous. That is quite normal on such an important day.

The priest greeted the bridal couple and the guests before starting the ceremony. I paid little attention to the whole thing, though. I had been to several weddings and it was always the same. What I did notice was Roman nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the other repeatedly.

"Dear bride and groom, you are not alone in this important hour of your lives. You are surrounded by people who are close to you. You may have the certainty that you are united with our parish and with all Christians in the communion of the Church. At the same time, you should know: God is with you. He is the God of your life and of your love. He sanctifies your love and unites you in an inseparable covenant of life. I ask you beforehand to publicly declare that you are committed to this Christian marriage.

Roman, I ask you: Have you come here to tie the knot with your bride after careful consideration and of your own free will?" the priest asked, smiling kindly at Roman.

"Well... actually... I'm so sorry, but... I can't. It just feels wrong to do this. I love you, but I love another woman more. I'm incredibly sorry. It was never my intention to hurt you and I know the timing is bad. My answer is no. I can't marry you," Roman declared, and everyone present gasped in shock. A murmur of dismay echoed through the church.

What also echoed through the church was the slap that the rejected bride gave Roman. I don't think anyone present, including me, could blame her for this reaction.

Then she spun around and stormed out of the church in a rage, closely followed by her parents and bridesmaids. All eyes were on her. No one had expected that something like this would happen. The talk and whispers among the guests grew louder and louder as they walked out of the church.

I didn't know what to say or how to react. I was totally shocked. I didn't even notice that someone was standing behind me. Well, until the person cleared his throat. Slowly I turned around. It was Roman. But before I could say anything to him, he had already taken my face in his strong hands and pressed his full lips on mine, taking my breath away.

"I love you, Y/N!" he whispered after he broke away from me.

"I love you too, Ro!" I replied in a breath.

"Well thank goodness for that, son! I always liked Y/N better anyway." I heard Roman's mom say as he rested his forehead against mine.

"Mom!" I heard one of Roman's sisters say.

"What, it's true!" retorted Patricia.

However, Roman and I didn't notice any of this. We were still looking deeply into each other's eyes. I saw in his look that he was serious, even if he was right that his timing was completely off.

But what did his mother say earlier? Nothing happens without a reason.

(Full story > Something more < on my profile)