Chapter 2 - Ava

"We're here to make an arrest."

Everyone- I mean literally everyone looks up. The fear is evident in almost everyone's eyes.

What in the world is happening?

I glance at my friends, and I can see the confusion. The officers walk across the diner to a waiter that looks to be in his 30s. They handcuff him, and lead him out.

"What just happened?" Carly asks.

Me and Dylan shrug in unison. I wolf down my salad, and slowly drink the spinach juice. My face scrunches in disgust.

"You ready to go?" Dylan asks. I set my half-empty cup down, and nod. I stand up and Carly and Dylan follow.

Me and Dylan have been friends ever since we were three. Our mother's worked together, so we would go over to their house. That was just when we were kids. After my mom died, I still went over, but it wasn't the same. My mom wasn't the one driving me there, my mom wasn't calling me for dinner, my mom wasn't the one giving me and Dylan a group hug. Me and Dylan befriended Carly when she came to our middle school, a little over five years ago. I don't what I would do or who I would be without them. Especially Dylan. Dylan was the shoulder I cried on when my mom died. When I blamed myself for her death, he told me what I needed to hear.

We walk out of the diner, and I walk to my car.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" I say, waving.

"You're leaving so soon," Carly complains. "Don't you want to come over and hang out with us?"

A smile forms on my lips.

"I have homework, you know that."

"So you pick homework over us? I knew you were fake." Dylan jokes.

I hit him on his head, and he squeals in pain.

"Well anyways, I've got to go. Bye!" I say quickly. I give them bright smiles, and jump into the car. As much as I loved my friends, I was a true introvert at heart. Being around people drained a lot of my energy.

I back up out of the parking lot and drive. Suddenly, I get a phone call from Carly.

"What do you want now?" I huff.

"Wow, the way you talk to me, people might even think you hate me." Carly says, clearly enjoying my anger.

"I do hate you, bitch." I say, playfully.

"Excuse me? One, We both know that's a lie. Second, I don't appreciate being called a bitch." Carly retorts.

"Whatever, can you tell me why you called?"

"I would have earlier, but your ugly ass had to call me a bitch."

"Damn Cee, let it go." I say, slightly annoyed.

I can feel her glare from through the screen.

"Fine, there's a party tonight, and you're going."

"That seems more like command than a question." I reply.

"In all fairness, Carly never said it was a question." Dylan intercedes.

"Shut up Dylan," I answer. "Wait, why are you in Carly's car?"

I can almost see him blushing.

"I- uh- I forgot my car." He stutters.

"Mmm yeah." I hum.

I knew he was lying because I saw his blue sports car in the parking lot.

"So, will you go to the party?" Carly asks.

"No." I refuse.

Dylan and Carly continue to beg me, until I finally give in.

"Fine, I'll go. Please, just shut up."

"Yay, I love you!" Carly squeals.

"Shut. Up." I say.

"Okay, okay. Bye!"

She hangs up. I smile at the phone. Me, Dylan, and Carly could pretend to fight each other, or actually fight, but we all knew where we stood with each other, and we loved each other more than anything.

I continue to drive back to my house. Soon, I arrive back at home. I hop out of my car and walk into my house.