Rainy Days

Saranyu was the only daughter of the Construction God, Vishwakarma. Growing up, her only solace had been Trisiras, her twin brother.

She was quite a pretty woman with lips that were tinted blue, and eyes like two shards of ice. Her hair often floated around her like an inky cloud, obscuring her face from view. Bold, confident, and prideful, she held none of the gentle grace everyone expected her to have. She was no tomboy, but rather proudly displayed her feminine qualities. She was beautiful, had a heavenly voice, and many talents. Why shouldn't she?

"Keep your head low." her father whispered in her ear on the day of her swayamvaram. "Look meek. Most men like to think women are weak."

He placed a garland in her hand and sent her out. She knew Vishwakarma was only trying to look out for her, and help her find a good man, but in her father's eyes, 'Good' meant 'Power'. It made sense. He didn't want his children to be humiliated by marrying a lesser god, that was all.

But Saranyu wanted someone who could look her in the eye, instead of looking down at her. She wanted someone who would challenge her beliefs, rather than degrade her for them. She wanted someone who would accept her as his equal, not his property.

Devi Sati had found her match in Shiva, and Saraswati in Brahma. Vishnu waited patiently for Lakshmi, refusing to take another as his wife. She wanted a love as beautiful as theirs'.

And so when the Goddess of Clouds stepped into the hall, a dress of evening sunsets billowing behind her, she held her head high, meeting the eyes of every person there. It didn't matter if it was an asura, rishi, or Deva. All received the same treatment.

Only one person held her gaze. Surya, god of the Sun. How fitting that it was his light she obscured, and yet he was the only one who captured her curiosity. Without hesitating, she stepped towards him and threw the garland around his neck.

He smiled at her, fashioning her a crown from rays of the sun, marking her his queen.

She was content with who she had found, and there was no doubt in her mind that he was too.

---

What she never expected were the hardships of her marriage. After a while, it seemed as though Surya had gotten bored of her. He never talked to her anymore, never spent any time with her, and his heat was unbearable. No matter how much Saranyu asked him to decrease it, he never did.

Cloudless days are thought to be the best. Saranyu wonders if Surya feels the same way.

Finally, she couldn't take it any longer and fashioned a replica of herself out of her shadow. From this, Chaaya was born. Kissing her children goodbye, and making them promise not to tell, she left.

For the longest time, Surya never noticed, but when he did, he traveled for the longest time to find her and begged her to come back.

"Sanjana, you're my sakthi, please, I can't live without you."

"Is that all you were keeping me around for?" she asked. "Because you'd be powerless without me?"

"I loved you." he whispered. "I loved you so much, I nearly abandoned my duties to find you. If Revanta hadn't agreed to take over for a few days, the world would have been plunged into eternal darkness."

She looked away. She loved him too. But what was to say he wasn't lying.

"I swear by the Trideva that I love you," he declared. "And I always will."

Tears surfaced in her eyes at his oath, and she agreed to return with him.

---

It hurt when he didn't order Chaaya to leave. Instead, he kept her around and eventually, she gave birth to his children as well. She cried for what felt like forever.

What if Surya was wrong? What if he thought he loved her, but didn't? Or worse, what if he loved Chaaya more than her?

"Do you want to know why I love her?" Surya asked one day. "Because she's you. She was born from your shadow, and therefore the same as you. I couldn't discriminate between the two of you."

The next day, Saranyu apologized to Chaaya and welcomed her as a sister.

---

Finally, when it was time for the world to end, Surya rode his chariot across the sky one last time, before riding off into non-existence waiting to be born again. Saranyu and Chaaya sobbed uncontrollably. It was nearly time for their leave as well, but they were more disheartened that they had to spend even a few days without their husband.

The earth faced a storm like it had never before. It rained non-stop, winds blowing with such force, trees were swept around like paper sheets.

Lakshmi comforted her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"The world will be reborn. This isn't the end."

"How do you know?"

"Because your husband is Surya. And after it rains, the Sun always returns to brighten the day."