Chapter 22

On the 12th of May, Jujutsu sorcerer, Kei Inumaki, had a one-night romantic entanglement with a civilian that he saved from a particularly aggressive cursed spirit. 

Kei Inumaki was a descendant of the original head branch, Takara Inumaki. Like all his clansman he was fairly attractive, with signature white hair and purple eyes. He also didn't speak much (due to his cursed technique), an attribute that women seem to find wildly attractive. So it wasn't uncommon that Kei found himself in the company of a woman for one night before leaving.

This one night however was different from the others... He just never realized. 

His one night with the civilian, Aiko Suzuki, fulfilled a long-awaited prophecy issued by a goddess herself. 

On the 13th of May, Kei left the home of Aiko Suzuki, never to see her again. 

On the 9th of June, Aiko Suzuki learned she was pregnant. 

She tried for months to get in contact with Kei to tell him. Even resorting to putting herself in the dangerous curse territories to see if she could find him. But curses refused to go near the pregnant Aiko. 

Nine months later, at three AM on February 29th, she gave birth. 

The little girl had tan skin, bright white hair, and the most captivating golden eyes. Strange considering both of her parents were relatively pale-skinned and neither had golden eyes. 

She questioned for a minute if they handed her the wrong baby. Before recognizing Kei's white hair and her own nose on the baby.

Aiko was ashamed to be pregnant from a one-night stand. So she lied, telling everyone, even her family, that she eloped and her husband impregnated her. She hadn't spoken to her family in a few months, and with her reckless nature, nobody questioned her story. She said that her husband died in a car accident a month after they got married on his way home so she could tell him the wonderful news, they were going to have a baby. She had such a way with words, her lie was so convincing that she herself started to believe it. 

The day of her birth was a strange one indeed. 

Born at the witching hour on leap day. 

At that exact moment, every curse felt it. They all simultaneously stopped. They felt it, that old power return to the earth. 

Sorcerers around the world were confused by the curse's strange behavior, they didn't know the significance of that moment.

"What are you going to name her?" Aiko's mother asked cooing at the adorable baby.

"Tsukiko... Tsukiko Inumaki." Aiko smiled down at the baby in her arms.

"Oh if only her father were still alive to see her... but might I ask... why name her 'moon child'?" Aiko's father asked. 

Aiko stopped for a moment, "I don't really know... Just feels right I guess."

She stared into the bright eyes of her daughter. 

The golden eyes that once looked down on the mortals, that cried for her loved ones, that watched endless chaos and death, centuries before.

Of course, her mother didn't know that.  

No one knew the significance of this day... and no one would for many years.