chapter fifty-three

season two ; episode three { Prayers }
chapter fifty-three

season two ; episode three { Prayers }chapter fifty-three

BROOKLYN HAD WOKEN UP HOURS PRIOR TO EVERYONE ELSE. She chose to take a breather and take a walk. She found herself sitting underneath a tree at five am with JJ's flask tucked underneath her arm and a blanket around her body to keep her warm.

Brooklyn watched the sunrise that morning.

At first there appears to be a tiny ball at the horizon. It slowly comes out of the shadow of clouds, increasing in size. Brooklyn just looked at it. The cooing and chirping of birds constitute the background score.

The waves of three seas kiss the land gently and Brooklyn wanted to be kissed too. She leaned back against the tree, leaving her senses to the nature while she concentrated on the sky. The fruit Brooklyn was longing for is beginning to get ripe and turn into golden colour. The warmth of the rays emitting from it made her body go crazy. Goosebumps get on her and she forgets everything for a moment. Absolute peace and then she see it all. Her eyes can't take any more.

The amount of visuals she see are mind boggling. The vast expanse of sea in front of her filled with unknown depths and the land beneath her assuring her that she is safe, the cool breeze of air filled with pleasant notes and the sky filled with all the warmth of a mother. This is it. This is mother nature saying everything is bright and it's just that people have to open their eyes to see it. That is when she understood how incredible it would be to travel, to be somewhere other than OBX.

Brooklyn's eyes were taken back over to the girl who asked, "You okay?"

Brooklyn moved over to the left to let Kiara sit down next to her. "I'm fine. Just thought I'd come watch the sunrise. You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired." Kiara stretched her arms out so one fell around Brooklyn's shoulders.

"Smooth, Kie." Brooklyn took her hand in hers and leaned her head into her arm. "Are the boys okay?"

"I think so. Both still sleeping." Kiara glanced over in the same direction as Brooklyn to see the sun was still rising. "Sunrise is beautiful."

"It really is."

Kiara gazed over at Brooklyn to see her eyes were closed while the sun brought out every feature of her face. Her sunkissed freckles that dotted across her nose, the pale pink colour of her lips that glistened from the lip balm she had on, the crystal colour of her eyes as they blinked open to take in the surroundings before closing again. Kiara thought she was truly beautiful.

Brooklyn's hand closed around Kiara's and her head leaned into Kiara's shoulder. "Hey, Brooklyn."

"Hey, Kiara," Brooklyn giggled.

"H-How are things with you and JJ?" Kiara brought her hand over Brooklyn's face, tracing her fingers along her jawline.

Brooklyn paused for a brief moment, feeling the strange touch from another person. When Kiara brought her hand away, Brooklyn roped out the words, "W-We're good. I-I've noticed t-that you and Pope have been getting closer... Um, d-do you like him?"

"No. Well, I don't know, Brooke." Kiara shrugged, peering down at the brunette, taking in the gorgeous shine in her hair from the reflecting sun. "He's Pope. He's one of my best friends. I-I don't know. He's nice but I'm n-not really into... him."

Brooklyn was unsure on what to say after that. She loved Pope, she knew that he liked Kiara and now she was stuck on whether she should mention that Kiara's not interested or to just leave it. She knew that Kiara was very honest when it came to confessing feelings... She was honest with Brooklyn when she liked her and now she was being honest about her feelings for Pope. She wasn't a liar.

Kiara and Brooklyn stayed silent for a moment, watching the sun rise over the random field that were sat in. The silence was comfortable until Kiara suddenly said, "You look beautiful, Brooklyn."

Brooklyn was a little taken back by her words but she still flashed her a soothing smile. "I- I— Thank you," she stammered awkwardly, a self-conscious laugh followed. "You're beautiful, Kie."

Kiara sat up first and brought Brooklyn ever so slightly closer to her. Brooklyn sat up and was embraced in a bone crushingly strong hug. Kiara had her fingertips in Brooklyn's hair, feeling the smoothness of her hair. She pulled outwards getting to the edge of her hair and framed it nicely around her naturally circular face. There were beads of sweat glistening on her forehead. Brooklyn think she could feel her stare intensely into her own eyes. The light gleamed off her eyes. Kiara looked for any signs within her eyes but body language. Like a small bite of her lips in anticipation.

Kiara began to lean inwards and their noses glanced off each other. The electricity between them was almost too much.

"K-Kie, I'm— I can't, okay?" She pushed the girl's shoulder back, edging away from her. "We need to get back to the boys. I-I can't do this."

Brooklyn rose to her feet quickly and she began to walk away from the brunette under the tree. "Brooklyn— I..." Brooklyn turned back on her heel to find Kiara standing on her feet. "Remember our kiss? T-The kiss that was life changing, the kiss that I still think about every single day. I-It was electric, Brooklyn and I-I know you felt it too." Kiara was stepping closer to Brooklyn who stood glued to the ground. "I'm always myself around you and you make me feel like a good person. I know you're with him but maybe he's your past and I'm your future. I'm who you're meant to end up with."

"Kiara, why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I like you!" She yelled so loud that the boys probably heard her. "Fuck. I-I don't like Pope because I am too hung up over you and every time I see you around JJ I-I just get overwhelmed with jealousy s-so last night I-I kissed Pope on the cheek to see if you would react and—" She paused because she could see that Brooklyn knew what she was about to say. "I saw your face. You did react."

Brooklyn stepped ever so slightly forward and yelled, "Kiara, I'm happy! I-I love JJ and I—." She pointed over in Kiara's direction and said, "I love you as well but JJ is w-who I'm meant to be with. K-Kie I don't know wh— why you're saying this to me now because I-I'm happy and—."

"Hey, guys!" Brooklyn glanced over her shoulder to see JJ and Pope waving to them. "Y-You ready to go?"

Brooklyn turned back to Kiara and said, "We should go, okay?"

"Yeah. Whatever." Kiara barged past the brunette and headed towards the boys. "Let's go."

Brooklyn followed, her heart hung with guilt as she stepped over to JJ who pushed a kiss to her lips. "Morning. You left early?"

"I-I wanted to watch the sunrise," she admitted. She placed a hand on his shoulder and said, "It would've been a lot better if you could've watched it with me."

"Hopefully next time, darling." JJ leaned back down and pushed another sweet kiss to her lips. Brooklyn could almost feel the anger radiating off of Kiara while she glared at her and JJ.

And they set off early that morning. Brooklyn was sat in between JJ and Kiara, his hand wrapped around her thigh with her head resting on his shoulder. She was awfully tired but that's what a few hours sleep can do to a person.

When the group passed the sign that read Charleston they almost felt relieved. They were on the right track and things were running smoothly.

"I wonder where John B and Sarah are right now."

And just as JJ said those words, the couple drove underneath the exact bridge they were driving across.

𝐓𝐁𝐇𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
— we absolutely STAN the ending of this episode... it was mother f-ing beautiful
— i rlly enjoyed writing the tension between kiara and brooklyn, i love their chemistry...
— opinions?